♪ ♫ spin up, spin up, get down ♪ ♫

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
raccoon

♪ ♫ spin up, spin up, get down ♪ ♫

Post by raccoon »

So, I've got a dozen USB drives plugged in. Most USB drives have a built-in sleep so they spin down when inactive. Whenever I type in a search in Everything, suddenly half of my drives spin up depending on the search results.

Can anything be done to let sleeping drives lie?

(edit: I do have the Preview pane disabled)
void
Developer

Re: ♪ ♫ spin up, spin up, get down ♪ ♫

Post by void »

This is most likely caused by loading icons.

Could you please try disabling icon shell extensions to see if it is the cause:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /icon_shell_extensions=0
  • If successful, you should see icon_shell_extensions=0 in the status bar for a few seconds.
Are the drives waking up now?

To restore the default icon shell extensions setting:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /icon_shell_extensions=1
  • If successful, you should see icon_shell_extensions=1 in the status bar for a few seconds.

Consider using file lists.
File lists do not access file information on disk, such as icons, file size, date modified, attributes, etc...

I have on my TODO list to add a 'load icon filter' so you can block loading icons on certain drives.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

That seems to have done the trick.

I came to my computer after it has been well rested, opened an instance of Everything and used the command `/icon_shell_extensions=0`. Typed several searches and listened for spin-ups, and there were none. I then went My Computer and each drive letter one by one, and each of them spun up one by one, indicating to me that they were and remained asleep, unharassed by Everything. ^_^

I think I'll just leave icon_shell_extensions turned off as I can't think of an immediate need or preference for it.

For the sake of other readers, is there a checkbox toggle for this option in the UI?
I found `General -> Results -> Load Icon Priority` but not an actual toggle for Icon Shell Extensions.

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!
void
Developer

Post by void »

For the sake of other readers, is there a checkbox toggle for this option in the UI?
The icon_shell_extensions option is only accessible with the /icon_shell_extensions=x search command or editing your Everything.ini
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

void: Can you explain what the icon_shell_extensions setting does exactly? I revisited this thread because I wanted to disable this behavior in 1.5a as well.

I searched and could not find documentation @ https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/ini/

It makes my hard drives go BrrRrrRrrRrr whenever I scroll up and down my search results.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Set icon_shell_extensions to 0 to disable.

When disabled, Everything will no longer request icons for files and folders by filename.
Everything will only request the icon based on the filename extension.

icon_shell_extensions was only added recently to Everything 1.4.
The documentation has not been updated yet.

For more control, please see Icon Filters.