How to quickly select multiple volumes to search

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
koolestani

How to quickly select multiple volumes to search

Post by koolestani »

Lets say I have 8 volumes in total, 2 internal and 6 network shares
I have these network shares indexed.
What I really need in this case to get meaningful results is to be able to narrow down the volumes from which search results will be displayed.

There are two ways I can use to search:
  • Start Everything executable from a shortcut, which will begin the search across ALL 8 volumes (if i don't have a Home search set or Use Last Value enabled).
  • Start Everything from the context menu of a particular volume to narrow down the search to that ONE volume.
The problem is, a lot of times I need to quickly include multiple volumes for the search. Basically; limiting the search to a mixed bag of volumes proves to be inconvenient. It's either Search ALL or ONE; as far I have been able to explore the options.

I'd be remiss If I didn't tell you that I have not mapped any of the network shares to some drive letter; and have been using their UNC paths for indexing and searching. Which is why if I need to search volume 3, 4 and 7, I need to TYPE manually:

Code: Select all

"\\serverIP\volume3"|"\\serverIP\volume4"|"\\serverIP\volume7" 
I have tried using filters, which sure is a neat way to quickly switch between the different network shares to be searched. But it still doesn't provide any way to multi select the volumes to be searched.

A check box type implementation to select the volumes to be searched comes to mind as a remedy, but i'm no software developer, so at best this is a suggestion.

Thanks in advance!
void
Developer

Re: How to quickly select multiple volumes to search

Post by void »

A list of all your indexes with checkboxes is on my TODO list.

Thanks for the suggestion.

For now, as you have found, you'll need to use the OR operator (|) to separate a list of volumes.
koolestani

Re: How to quickly select multiple volumes to search

Post by koolestani »

Thank you for the quick response. Its good to hear that. Any tentative month or quarter for such an update?
Also is there a way to quickly restrict the search to just the local volumes OR just the network shares, I know a list of all indexes with checkbox can once again solve this issue. I'd like to think of these two options as presets available to choose from in the future.