Command line argument (examples)

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
mrphil

Command line argument (examples)

Post by mrphil »

Hello Void:
I am trying to set up a windows context menu item. The program is Filemenu Tools. What I'm trying to accomplish is when I'm in the windows explorer and spot a file that may have other copies "laying around" then I will right click the file and select the search Everything context menu item to open a new Everything window with the search list showing for that particular file that I selected in windows explorer. But the problem is I don't know the proper arguments to use... the command line arguments. I have looked at the command line syntax list in the help file and searched somewhat in the forums. But have made no progress. When one right clicks on a windows explorer file is its variable designation equal to "%1"? From all my attempts the results always reports this error message "Unable to open file list: <path>:<filename> is not a valid file list."

Please advise if you have examples to share with me. :|

Mr. Phil
NotNull

Re: Command line argument (examples)

Post by NotNull »

mrphil wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:20 pmHello Void:
You only want help from @void?
therube

Post by therube »

How does your command line read in Filemenu Tools?
froggie

Post by froggie »

You might find this post helpful (scroll to the bottom)

viewtopic.php?t=5944
mrphil

Post by mrphil »

NotNull wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:36 pm
mrphil wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:20 pmHello Void:
You only want help from @void?
Ha haa! The I'm addressing is Void as a forum group. I didn't mean it like it sounded. Should I have said Hello Tools? LOL
mrphil

Post by mrphil »

therube wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:18 pm How does your command line read in Filemenu Tools?
It is a GUI interface table. The target, "Everything.exe" is in one line, and the argument is a different line. It is freeware from lopesoft.com.
mrphil

Post by mrphil »

froggie wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:57 pm You might find this post helpful (scroll to the bottom)

viewtopic.php?t=5944
Thank you froggie. This is helpful and contains the example I needed. I know I saw Everything in the context menu for a while after upgrading, but for unknown reason, it is no longer there. Maybe this can get it working again.
mrphil

Post by mrphil »

mrphil wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:30 pm
therube wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:18 pm How does your command line read in Filemenu Tools?
I have been putting a %1 in the argument setup field. It is a GUI interface table. The target, "Everything.exe" is in one line, and the argument is a different line. It is freeware from lopesoft.com.
mrphil

Post by mrphil »

mrphil wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:35 pm
froggie wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:57 pm You might find this post helpful (scroll to the bottom)

viewtopic.php?t=5944
Thank you froggie. This is helpful and contains the example I needed. I know I saw Everything in the context menu for a while after upgrading, but for unknown reason, it is no longer there. Maybe this can get it working again.
Update: Success!
It took several tries (about 25) but I finally got it to work; here is the syntax and arguments that worked for me on Win 7 Pro. with Everything Version 1.4.1.935 (x64)... "C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -name-part "%1" ... an expandable string value...
Now when I click on a file, it instantly shows where all copies are on USBs, and on flash or internal disk drives. I have a mess on my hands with full backups and incremental backups over multiples drives. This will help immensely at identifying the stray files and getting back under control
Thanks gents and ladies for your help.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4njkoreetgx0z ... u.bmp?dl=0
Mr. Phil
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

mrphil wrote:The program is Filemenu Tools.
Another approach may be is DropIt
(Drag&Drop instead of ContextMenu)
http://www.dropitproject.com/
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

mrphil wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:27 pm Ha haa! The I'm addressing is Void as a forum group. I didn't mean it like it sounded. Should I have said Hello Tools? LOL
Hello all? Hello fellow voidian forum followers? :)

Anyway, Filemenu Tools also supports the use of some special arguments like %filename%, %folderpath% etc. (but maybe not in the free version)