Cannot exit

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
ardee

Cannot exit

Post by ardee »

Hi. Everything.exe will not exit, even using Task Manager (and other tools that promise to quit a stubborn program). It never did this before. It has no window but won't quit.

Have you ever seen this problem? If so, do you have an idea of what to do, short of rebooting?

Thank you.
NotNull

Re: Cannot exit

Post by NotNull »

Not very clear what you are looking at.

Do you see Everything only in taskmanager? That might be the Everything Service.
To stop this service or kill the Everything.exe process, you need to be an administrator.

If you start Everything (with a shortcut I presume), do you get the Everything window with a search bar and a list o folders?
Does that window go away if you choose Menu:File > Exit?

Is there an Everything icon in the system tray? Ifd you righ-click > Exit that, does that close Everything and remove the icon from the system tray?

Maybe post a screenshot? With the little information you provided we can only do so much ...
ardee

Post by ardee »

Thank you, NotNull, for your response.

The problem I was having is that Everything would not launch, so I went to Process Hacker to make sure it wasn't running. I am admin, but I could not quit it (nor launch it with its window showing). So I posted here.

Then I quit another program that never gave me trouble before, XYplorer, and although it quit fine it would not launch either. Something must be wrong with my Windows 7 Ultimate (I have other issues like Windows Updates failing). :cry: I rebooted and, like the previous reboot a couple hours earlier, the computer got stuck at "Shutting down" and had to be forced off.

Once back up, I uninstalled Everything and reinstalled the very latest version (I had one rev back) and ... so far so good. But I'm not pushing my luck here because I fear some of those symptoms are gone only temporarily.

Thank you again!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Sounds like some other process was locking up your system. Might indeed be Windows Update (happened on my Win7 ssytem too; the horrors I went through ... I sympathize )

Glad you got ik working again (for now at least)
Thanks for reporting back.