Everything doesn't completely delete folders with “desktop.ini” files in them

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
SuperDude

Everything doesn't completely delete folders with “desktop.ini” files in them

Post by SuperDude »

Hello! I have a small problem: Everything doesn't completely delete folders with “desktop.ini” files in them, when the “desktop.ini” files have the “Hidden” attribute set. Everything will delete all of the files in a folder successfully, but it will not delete the “desktop.ini” file. This requires me to go to each folder that has a “desktop.ini” file in it, and delete the folder manually.

Is there a setting which will enable Everything to delete these folders? Thanks for any help you can give.
therube

Re: Everything doesn't completely delete folders with “desktop.ini” files in them

Post by therube »

I don't seem to have an issue (at least the way I went about things).

There might be an issue in certain circumstances, not sure?

Created a directory, delmedelme.
Copied into that various desktop.ini.
If attributes did not include HS, I set those.

Then located delmedelme directory in Everything, Shift+DEL & it was gone.
(There was a Windows [7] prompt to confirm, even though I used Shift, which I suppose is due to the S attribute.)

Now there were some desktop.ini that I could not copy - in particular (but not all) C:\$Recycle.Bin\ folders.
I'd attempt a Ctrl+C, but the file did not actually copy.
I'd suspect that if I attempted to delete one of those particular folders, I might be thwarted?
(And when trying to change to that directory, I get an accessed denied.
Open my file manager - with administrative privileges, & there was no issue in changing into that directory, or copying the desktop.ini file therein.
Copying that file into my delmedelme directory & I then had no issue in deleting the directory.)

So might just be a permissions issue.
And Everything isn't specifically generating an elevation prompt, & simply ignores the fail.
NotNull

Re: Everything doesn't completely delete folders with “desktop.ini” files in them

Post by NotNull »

On my Win10 system things behave a little different..
(Everything 1.4.1.895 x64 running under a restricted user account; Everything service enabled)

When deleting a a Desktop.ini in a folder where I have the privileges to delete it, the file will be deleted.
When deleting a a Desktop.ini in a folder where I DON'T have the privileges to delete it, these dialogs come up:
2019-02-01 17_11_23-File Access Denied.png
2019-02-01 17_11_23-File Access Denied.png (9.04 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
Followed by the UAC prompt
therube

Post by therube »

(I didn't specifically try changing privileges, removing myself from/to a directory/file in my testing.)
void
Developer

Post by void »

By delete, do you mean move to Recycle Bin or Permanently delete?
What are your UAC settings?
SuperDude

Post by SuperDude »

I permanently delete files (no Recycle Bin). I have my UAC completely set to OFF.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have been unable to reproduce the issue, I've set UAC to never notify on Windows 10 x64 1809 and tried permanently deleting a folder with a Desktop.ini file. I still get the File Access Denied prompt and the option to continue as an administrator.

Everything doesn't know how to delete files/folders. Everything instead calls the OS to delete files/folders (see SHFileOperation).

The question is now why does SHFileOperation fail to delete folders with desktop.ini files.
Not to move the blame to someone else, it could still be a funky flag Everything is passing to SHFileOperation.

Does the issue occur in Windows Explorer?