Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
adrian7955247

Post by adrian7955247 »

Hi All,

Getting a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error when I search for a word in a files contents (e.g. "D:\ content:55007").

The error is:

Runtime Error!
Program: C"\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe
R6025
- pure virtual function call

I am running the latest Everything.
I have tried deleting %localappdata%\Everything\Everything.db
I have tried re-installing
I have tried as Service and as Administrator
Windows 10 (1803) 64bit

Not sure what version of C++ it uses to try reinstalling that.

Help?
Debugger

Re: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error

Post by Debugger »

Cause
This error occurs when your application indirectly calls a pure virtual member function in a context where a call to the function is not valid. In most cases, the compiler detects this and reports the error when building the application. But depending on how your code is written, sometimes the problem is detected only at run-time.

Resolution
Calling a pure virtual function is a programming error, so you need to find the call to the pure virtual function and rewrite the code so it is not called.

One way to find a call to a pure virtual function is to replace the pure virtual function with an implementation that calls the Windows API function DebugBreak. When using the debugger, DebugBreak will cause a hard-coded breakpoint. When the code stops running at this breakpoint, you can view the callstack to see where the function was called.

Another way to find a call to a pure virtual function is to set a breakpoint on the _purecall function that is found in PureVirt.c. Breaking on this function has the advantage of keeping the stack intact so that you can trace what is occurring.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

adrian7955247 wrote: Windows 10 (1803) 64bit

Not sure what version of C++ it uses to try reinstalling that.

Help?
That would be Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. 64-bit, of course :)

If that doesn't solve your issue, you have to "zoom in" which file's content can not be searched.
Start with searching for D:\firstfolder content:55007 (replace firstfolder with your actual foldername), followed by D:\secondfolder content:55007 until you find the failing one
Keep zooming in until you find the file which contents can't be searched.
When you find that file, please report back.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything was not written in C++, this is most likely an external IFilter issue.

I have added exception handling to the file content reader in Everything 1.4.1.914, which should fix ignore the issue.

Please let me know if you see this error again with Everything 1.4.1.914.

Also, searching for D:\ content:55007 might take a very very long time, I would recommend you limit the search to a file type, folder, date and/or size.
eg:
D:\folder1\subfolder\ *.txt dm:thisyear size:<100mb content:55007