Pause display

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
harryray2

Pause display

Post by harryray2 »

I wrote a while back and you kindly implemented a pause display function /monitor_pause

My objective was to pause a current display refreshing so that I could see changes that were made using, for example dm:today.
Rather than pausing the the display it seems to just stop everything and I get a blank display...am I doing something wrong?
void
Developer

Re: Pause display

Post by void »

/monitor_pause stops the NTFS index monitors and folder index monitors.

When these monitors are stopped "Everything" will not see any more changes to your file systems until you restart them.

What you want is to stop the live results from updating, I'll consider adding such an option.

dm:today is probably no longer showing results as the monitors are still paused from the previous day, you'll need to restart the monitors with:
/monitor_resume
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Yes, thanks...My original thought when I requested a pause display (similar to the option on most nirsoft programmes where one can also set the refresh rate) was to pause the refresh.

It's a bit of a pain and very confusing when I'm looking for something in FF portable for example and the display keeps updating.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

A completely different angle to this: make a Print-Screen :D
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Haha, that's one way I suppose!! :0) :lol: :o I'll just have to hit the print screen button quickly :shock:
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I'm using everything more and more to track things and the inability to pause the refresh is becoming a giant pain in the bum...:0)

I've tried, as suggested, taking a screenshot..that's OK occasionally but not really a solution.

Can anyone think of a workaround for this.

Ta muchly!!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

harryray2 wrote: Can anyone think of a workaround for this.
That Print-screen idea wasn't too serious; glad you picked that up.

Another - somewhat more serious - suggestion:
Open an extra Everything window (Menu: File > New search window / Ctrl-N) and execute /monitor_pause in one of those windows.
I think (not tested) that the other window will have a 'frozen' list.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Unfortunately that doesn't work...

Is there a way to list the date modified dm: within a certain time period, for the current day. For example 21.00 to 21.30 Without having to enter the date?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

harryray2 wrote:Unfortunately that doesn't work...

Is there a way to list the date modified dm: within a certain time period, for the current day. For example 21.00 to 21.30 Without having to enter the date?
I did some experiments, but couldn't find a solution for you.
But it gave me an idea for yet another suggestion (I keep trying :)):
You could do a query like: dm:last15minutes or rc:last1hour (rc: = recently changed)
Maybe that will freeze the result list?
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, but nothing seems to freeze the display. I've been using dm:last30mins and it changes within a few seconds...I thought maybe to try some thing along the lines of date modified 15:00 to 15:30 but I can't find a way of imputing that without putting the date in as well...

Haha, it's driving me absolutely nuts!! :0)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Finally able to test my suggestions, I can confirm that none of them work. :(
I'm running out of inspiration at the moment, but If I find something that works, I'll post it.

Or maybe not .... as I'm curious what happens when you go nuts! :twisted: :lol:
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Yet another workaround!

This time based on exporting results and opening that as a EFU file list in Everything.
This script takes care of it all:

SNAPSHOT.CMD

Code: Select all

@echo off
setlocal
pushd "%~dp0"

::________________________________________________________
::
::	SETTINGS

set EVERYTHING=c:\tools\everything\everything.exe
  set ES=c:\tools\everything\es.exe
  set QUERY=dm:last30minutes

::	ACTION!

:: Create EFU list
   "%ES%" -export-efu snapshot.efu %QUERY%

:: Open EFU list
   "%EVERYTHING%" -f snapshot.efu -newwindow

The steps to get this working:
  • If you don't have ES.exe on your system, download it here and unzip it to any folder
  • Save this script in some folder on your disk
  • Change the settings to match your system. Currently:
    set EVERYTHING=c:\tools\everything\everything.exe
    set ES=c:\tools\everything\es.exe
    set QUERY=dm:last30minutes
  • Save it
  • Run it from Explorer
This will create a snapshot.efu file in the folder of the script and that will be opened in a new Everything window (recognizable by the showing of snapshot.efu on the right side of the statusbar.
When done, you can close this window.
Or: run SNAPSHOT.cmd again; now you have 2 snapshots on screen

You probably have questions (this is formulated a bit 'fuzzy'). Please ask them.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I've been thinking about this a bit...

I would like to have all results to be live for all search functions, for example, you type empty: and you delete the last item in a folder, that folder should show up in the results, or you searched for dupenamepart: and you remove the a file with the same name part as another, leaving only one file with a unique namepart, both files should be removed from the result list, or you search for dm:today, that time window moves when the day changes.

Currently, Everything is not smart enough to do these things yet.

/monitor_pause should do what you want.
When you search for dm:today, do you want "Everything" to interpret today from the time of search, or now?
Currently, Everything calculates "today" at the time of search.

One thing I cannot do easily is prevent removing deleted files (only /monitor_pause can do this).
Would an option to only stop "Everything" from adding new files and folders to the result list be useful? For example:

/liveresults=0
This would still allow deleted files to be removed from the result list.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, what I'm looking for is to stop the display chenging while I'm looking at it...If I use dmso that I can look at all the files that have come up o<Bat the moment that I used dm:
Basically freeze the display at the moment of entry....

For example, my firefox folder is a very active folder that changes constantly, I would like to observe the files at the without them changing constantly if I use dm: at a certain time, lets say 10.15:30 I would like the display to stay the same as they were at 10.15:30 (10.15am and 30 seconds)

I've used the /monitor_pause command all the results disappear leaving me with a blank screen.

The best reference I can use is various Nirsoft utilities <BS>...Here is a screenshot
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (71.36 KiB) Viewed 8472 times
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Or use Sysinternals' Process Monitor. With a simple filter you can focus on Firefox related changes.

BTW: did you try the script?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I've used the /monitor_pause command all the results disappear leaving me with a blank screen.
Typing in this command would clear your results. However you should be able to retype your previous search, eg: dm:today
Having the monitors pausable from a Index menu would be more useful and is on my TODO list.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I still don't understand what monitor pause achieves...What I'm looking for is to stop the files refreshing so that I can check the files without them changing whilst I'm looking at them.

NotNull...thank you, I haven't had time to try it yet, I'll give it a go over the weekend.
I was only using Firefox as an example of an active directory. In general, I need to check all the files on the system.

I've never had occasion to create a .efu list before. Is this a static list that doesn't monitor changes?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

harryray2 wrote: I've never had occasion to create a .efu list before. Is this a static list that doesn't monitor changes?
Yes it is. it is a textfile/CSV file; you could even open it in Notepad.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Oh great, I'll give it a try tomorrow.....It obviously has its drawbacks but it will be a good solution until (hopefully) there is a 'pause refresh' on Everything.

I love Everything and used it for yonks but for me I find this issue a bit of a shortcoming.
Watching files change all over the place as I'm trying to look at them is diminishing my already sub standard sanity. :o :shock: :?