Running on server question

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
jbarcher13

Running on server question

Post by jbarcher13 »

Hello again!
I have been successful installing Everything on a web server, as administrator and have all the support .ini file and HTTP files in the installation folder. I mapped two network drives and successfully indexed them. Then, I tried to add another network drive only to find out that I couldn't because I was running as administrator. I changed the setup to run the Everything Service and unchecked "Run as Administrator." I was able to add the network drive and it indexed successfully. That particular drive needs admin rights to access and I have those.

This morning I also needed to add some file types that we didn't want to index. I did that by updating my .ini file. When I went to save it, Everything asked if I wanted to save it in my user Appsfolder. I said no and then another message wanted to save it but in administrator mode. I did that. I then noticed that the mapped drive was not in my Folder list to include in the Index. I had to add it back to my folder list and now it's rebuilding the index...arrrrggghhhh.

I'm a bit confused about whether I should run this as administrator OR as a standard user when on the server? It seems that some changes can only be done in the interface as an admin, and some others can be done as a user...is that correct? Should I always make changes in the ini file after the inital indexing and setup is done?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please let me know if you need any supporting info or files.
Thanks so much, Jan
void
Developer

Re: Running on server question

Post by void »

I recommend running as a standard user with the Everything service.

Your issues sounds like you have "Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything" disabled, which is causing the "Unable to save settings. Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything?" message.

Please try enabling "Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything":
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab.
  • Check "Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything".
  • Click OK.
jbarcher13

Post by jbarcher13 »

Good morning! So, I started over (based on your answers)....no worries we're still testing. I've installed Everything 1.4.1.809b on a web server, running as a standard user with the service running. On 1/16/2016, I was successful in indexing two network drives. I stay logged in on the server and it's only restarted if necessary. We're using HTTP web-based search interface. So far, things are looking great!

Today, I looked at the db file and saw that the date was 12/16. The program has been running since the 16th. I've set it to update "Every day at 3:00 AM". Even though I have updating set, it doesn't appear to be doing that. I did a manual update on both drives and the db did change. I'd really like to have this whole process automated and thought the update settings would do it overnight so as not to interrupt searching during the day. Am I doing something wrong? I must be missing something in understanding how the indexing/updating really works.

The other thing I noticed is that the db file is located in C:\Users\Jan.Archer\AppData\Local\Everything\ and all of the settings files are located in C:\Users\Jan.Archer\AppData\Roaming\Everything. Is that normal? Reason I ask is because on my personal computer, all files are located in C:\Users\Jan.Archer\AppData\Roaming\Everything.

Thanks for all your help!! Still LOVE the program and I believe we can get this to work the way we need it to.

Jan
void
Developer

Post by void »

Today, I looked at the db file and saw that the date was 12/16.
The database is only saved to disk when you exit Everything.
The program has been running since the 16th. I've set it to update "Every day at 3:00 AM".
The updates will be happening, and will update Everything in memory, not the database on disk.
You can call Everything.exe -update to flush the database to disk, although it's not really necessary.
The other thing I noticed is that the db file is located in C:\Users\Jan.Archer\AppData\Local\Everything\ and all of the settings files are located in C:\Users\Jan.Archer\AppData\Roaming\Everything. Is that normal?
Yes, this is normal.
In a enterprise setting, AppData\Roaming is usually redirected to a remote file server, where as AppData\Local is always local.