What can I do to be able to see PDF files in Everything Preview?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
raymm

Post by raymm »

I can see odt, docx files in preview, but I can't see PDF files.

therube

Re: What can I do to be able to see PDF files in Everything Preview?

Post by therube »

What OS?
raymm

Post by raymm »

Windows 10
SuperDude

Post by SuperDude »

Foxit PDF Reader has an option, when installing the program, to install a preview handler that will allow you to view PDF files in Everything's Preview Pane.

You can also try using PreviewConfig - get it here: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/previ ... ows-vista/

PreviewConfig enables you to register preview handlers for different file types that Everything's Preview Pane may not initially recognize, and not be able to be viewed. For example, there are many file types which are actually plain text files, but with different extensions. Some of these extensions are not automatically recognized by Everything, but after using PreviewConfig, Everything will be able to view these new file types in its Preview Pane.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC also shows pdf previews in Everything x86/x64.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

SumatraPDF also works for the Everything preview pane.
rgbigel

Post by rgbigel »

so much has improved... even Windows 11 Explorer is now able to show Pdf documents, both in Icons and in Preview modes.
So in think Everything (current 1.5.0.1294a) should also be capable of doing it?
Rolf
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

rgbigel wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:45 pm so much has improved... even Windows 11 Explorer is now able to show Pdf documents, both in Icons and in Preview modes.
So in think Everything (current 1.5.0.1294a) should also be capable of doing it?
Rolf
Sorry, what is your exact problem ?
If Windows Explorer shows PDF previews then you have some preview handler installed
and Everything will also show previews.
rgbigel

Post by rgbigel »

That is exacty the problem. Explorer shows, Everything does not show previews.
I just checked the preview handler tool. It shows a handler (to my surprise), so possibly Explorer is using that, or maybe its own, not visible to the preview handler tool? But why then does Everything not use it?

The name of the preview handler also was a surprise, containing the string "pdf24.dll". Haven't used that one in a long time, but pdf24.exe is still working.

I hope that it has nothing to do with some 32/64 bit problem of windows 11. From all i can see, Everything, Explorer, System and pdf24 are all 64 bit.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

I'm also running Windows 11 and SumatraPDF does the PDF preview
in Everything, Explorer, Total Commander and XYplorer.

Post by NotNull »

rgbigel wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:00 pm That is exacty the problem. Explorer shows, Everything does not show previews.
Are you running Everything as administrator? Try the following:
  • Enable Everything Service
  • Disable Run as administrator
  • Restart Everything (right-click the Everything icon in teh systemtray and choose Exit to stop Everything completely)
Both settings can be found under Menu:Tools > Options > General.
void
Developer

Post by void »

There might be a load issue.

Detailed information is available in your debug logs:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
    ---this will show a debug console---
  • Ensure the Preview Pane is shown (Alt + P)
  • Type in the following search:
    *.pdf
  • Select a PDF file to preview.
  • Right click the debug console window caption and under the Edit submenu, click Select All.
  • Left click the selected text in the debug console to copy it to the clipboard.
  • Please paste this text in your reply.
To close the debug console:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
rgbigel

Post by rgbigel »

The first of the suggested remedies worked: I dropped Administrator mode while staying with Service.
I have not tried to debug, because it now works.

Thank you

PS: why is an Administrator limited this way? The problem now is, that I can't store the .ini inside Program Files\Everything.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

rgbigel wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:01 pmPS: why is an Administrator limited this way?
NotNull wrote elsewhere: "In the past, there were issues with the Adobe iFilter when running as administrator. Don't know about the current situation, though." Consider that "normal" software does not run As Administrator, and writing software intended to function safely while As Administrator takes extra consideration and work.
rgbigel wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:01 pmThe problem now is, that I can't store the .ini inside Program Files\Everything.
Move Everything to C:\Portable\Everything\ if you want to store the .ini files along side the .exe. All software installed to Program Files should be storing their data and settings to the Users\...\AppData folder and not Program Files.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

raccoon wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:20 pm All software installed to Program Files should be storing their data and settings to the Users\...\AppData folder and not Program Files.
.. and that can be accomplished by enabling the Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything setting under Menu:Tools > Options > General.
rushq

Post by rushq »

NotNull wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:31 pm
raccoon wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:20 pm All software installed to Program Files should be storing their data and settings to the Users\...\AppData folder and not Program Files.
.. and that can be accomplished by enabling the Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything setting under Menu:Tools > Options > General.
hello,I have the problem,Everything does not show previews about office files and pdf files,but I am sure it's work few week ago ,I am no idea what happen .I am try the solutions above,but it's not work well ,what should I do .
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please make sure Everything is installed correctly:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.
If you make any changes above, please restart your PC to ensure there is no PDF preview instance running with administrative privileges.

Please let me know if the issue persists.
David.P

Post by David.P »

Just wanted to briefly report that the above info by void fixed the PDF preview not working issue for me as well.

Btw., here at Tracker Software there's a tool that allows you to set which of the installed PDF programs should take care of the preview, or various other things regarding PDF files, regardless of which program is set as the default program to open PDFs:

horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

There is a better universal preview handler editor from Microsoft.
I use it to change preview handlers on the fly for all formats and installed handlers.
Its no longer on the web, so here is the archive.
PreviewHandlerEditor-x64.zip
(90.18 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
Last edited by horst.epp on Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.P

Post by David.P »

Thanks!
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

As great as Everything is, I cannot understand one thing: when I use Windows Explorer or total commander all standard (incl. pdf) files may be previewed without hassle, while the same functionality on Everything (portable 1.5.0.1275a (x64) on Win 10) either does not work (this is my case except graphic files) or requires extensive efforts involving tools that an average user has no idea about and may cause his/her Windows system work improperly. My humble request is that ET developers sort out this problem WITHIN ET in a manner as clear and easy as they have managed to set a lot of other options in ET so far. Ghisler managed to handle the problem and I believe you’ll do too :)
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

mczerski wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:41 pm As great as Everything is, I cannot understand one thing: when I use Windows Explorer or total commander all standard (incl. pdf) files may be previewed without hassle, while the same functionality on Everything (portable 1.5.0.1275a (x64) on Win 10) either does not work (this is my case except graphic files) or requires extensive efforts involving tools that an average user has no idea about and may cause his/her Windows system work improperly. My humble request is that ET developers sort out this problem WITHIN ET in a manner as clear and easy as they have managed to set a lot of other options in ET so far. Ghisler managed to handle the problem and I believe you’ll do too :)
We are currently at version 1.5.1331a of Everything.
I have no problems to preview in Everything any file format for which the explorer shows previews.

I use Total Commander as file manager, Christian Ghisler didn't make anything special for previewing
because there are plugins for all sort of file formats and a normal TC user will not use or need Explorer level preview providers.
The Lister plugins are the best feature of TC and makes it one of the best file managers for viewing any file.
I can configure to use Explorer preview for a format in TC.
If this works, Everything also works.
castellana

Post by castellana »

David.P wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:10 am Just wanted to briefly report that the above info by void fixed the PDF preview not working issue for me as well.

Btw., here at Tracker Software there's a tool that allows you to set which of the installed PDF programs should take care of the preview, or various other things regarding PDF files, regardless of which program is set as the default program to open PDFs:

Thank you! This worked for me. I ended up only changing the very top field and left the others to NONE, because changing those would not allow me to preview PDF in Windows. At least now I know how to get there when I run into other issues.
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

Thank you for your advice. However, my question whether and, eventually, when Voidtools will have its own in–built previewer to handle pdf files remains valid. I am a little reluctant to install software that may affect my PC settings of other programmes, that handle pdf files. I know, that I always may backup and then restore the whole system and if the new software makes unwanted changes, but, quite frankly, I am – say – too lazy to such operations now and then. My preview window in ET, when a pdf file should be displayed, displays a yellow rectangle with "PDF" in it. And that’s all it does, while Explorer and TC do not have any problem with displaying pdf files. Any idea what I should do, eg. change in my system settings, register a dell etc. to quit that problem with ET preview? My system is Windows 10 64 bit, ET 1.5.0 1275a 64-bit.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

mczerski wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:35 pm Thank you for your advice. However, my question whether and, eventually, when Voidtools will have its own in–built previewer to handle pdf files remains valid. I am a little reluctant to install software that may affect my PC settings of other programmes, that handle pdf files. I know, that I always may backup and then restore the whole system and if the new software makes unwanted changes, but, quite frankly, I am – say – too lazy to such operations now and then. My preview window in ET, when a pdf file should be displayed, displays a yellow rectangle with "PDF" in it. And that’s all it does, while Explorer and TC do not have any problem with displaying pdf files. Any idea what I should do, eg. change in my system settings, register a dell etc. to quit that problem with ET preview? My system is Windows 10 64 bit, ET 1.5.0 1275a 64-bit.
TC doesn't have any own PDF preview handler
it relies on Lister plugins or the OS installed PDF preview handler.
This is the same that Everything uses.
The only none 3rd party preview handler is the PDF preview handler coming with MS Edge on Windows 11.

Btw, the current Everything version is 1.5.0.1340a, time to update.
TC 10.52 x64 / x86
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

Thanks for your reply. But, where from I could download the updated version you recommend? Voidtools on is download website (https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/) displays: "Download Everything 1.4.1.1022" as apparently the latest version, which is not true. No newer versions are offered there! And my ET when asked to check for a newer version also says that mine is the current.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

mczerski wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:03 pm Thanks for your reply. But, where from I could download the updated version you recommend? Voidtools on is download website (https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/) displays: "Download Everything 1.4.1.1022" as apparently the latest version, which is not true. No newer versions are offered there! And my ET when asked to check for a newer version also says that mine is the current.
This is the page for the Alpha versions
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9787
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

Thank you! A followed your advice and installed the lates alpha version. Although this version does not display pdf files in the preview panel either, I am about to give up the issue to save my time. TC search with Everything support will do for me. Thanks again for your help. Best regards.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

mczerski wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:37 pm I am about to give up the issue
Before you do... does the title bar of Everything show the text [Administrator]?
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

Yes, it does show [Administrator]
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

That is the reason why PDFs can't be previewed as expected.

Try running Everything as a regular user. This is the recommended way, with the least amounts of limitations:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

Thanks for your advice and effort. I did as instructed, but it did not help to solve the problem at all. The preview panel still displays a yellow rectangle with "PDF" in it. When I click on the rectangle area ET properly displays the file content in the associated programme.
There is one thing I do not understand about the problem. Both Windows native file manager as well as the Total Commander properly display preview files (incl. pdf files) on my PC, while ET does not. It was the reason why I have joined this thread and bothered you with my problem. Thanks again. I still consider your ET as one of the best programmes, after all, as it is extremely fast and precise, flexible, clearly and logically designed, user friendly etc. except this "pdf problem" :)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Weird ..
To be sure: the [Administrator] text in the title bar is gone?

I think that so far we were able to help everyone (as in: 100%) to get working PDF previews in Everything.
So if you haven't given up completely ...
(might take some effort as we don't know anything about your system/situation)
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

Yes, I am absolutely sure that the [Administrator] text is gone.

I am rally sory as I was sure (but I seem to be mistaken) that I reported my System characteristics when I raised the problem. My system is Windows 10 64-bit Professional, with standard Polish localisation settings . I am not a novice computer user (I started using computers some 40 years ago with the CPM system :) ), so ask any further questions you deem necessary or advisable. However, I feel confused to take your precious time with my case which may be quite unique, while many other users with more common issues may be waiting for your assistance. Thanks again for your support and assistance. And, of course, I would be really happy to have the problem solved. :)
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

And more: for your information I stopped MS Defender and restricted Cortana "interventionism", as they intefered and caused problems with very specific tools I need to use as a professional translator and editor. These are the only modifications I made to the Windows 10 Pro default settings
Ged3Ro

Post by Ged3Ro »

I did read this complete thread:
I cannot get a preview of PDF.
Win10Pro 22H2 19045.2846 Everything Version 1.4.1.1022 (x64)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz 12.0 GB
I had
Check Everything service.
Uncheck Run as administrator.

PDF X-change 2.5 Build 214.2 as main PDF tool
Adobe Acrobat Reader secondary PDF Tool
Several tertiary pdf tools.

After serarch for *.PDF Debug console contains:
got preview handler from ext
CoCreateInstance 80004005
can not instance preview CLSID

Tried fixing this for hours. What seemed to help in the end was reinstalling Adobe reader and let it grab everything it wanted. The preview in Everything started working and stayed functioning after switching PDF files to open in PDF X-change trough Settings ==> choose default apps by file type.