start-up

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
stormdog

start-up

Post by stormdog »

Can somebody confirm that it's correct that Everything should appear twice in Windows Start-up? Both entries refer to the same file location in Program Files (x86).
0-002.jpg
0-002.jpg (52.52 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
void
Developer

Re: start-up

Post by void »

If you have the Everything service installed (Tools -> Options -> General -> Everything Service):
One Everything.exe process is the Everything Service.
The other Everything.exe process is the client search window.

The running Everything service Everything.exe will only use about 1MB ram and very little CPU usage.

If you run Everything as admin from Tools -> Options -> General -> Run as administrator:
One Everything.exe process is the non-admin Everything that is started when Everything is first executed.
The other Everything.exe process is the client search window running as admin.

The running non-admin Everything.exe will use about 1MB ram and no CPU usage, it will close when the running admin Everything process closes.
To avoid the second process in this case:
  • Right click your Everything shortcut and click Properties.
  • Click the Compatibility tab.
  • Check Run this program as an administrator.
  • Click OK.
stormdog

Post by stormdog »

I don't have Properties on right-click on the icon. However, in Options you can see it is set to run as Administrator and Service is off (I presume that's correct for Win 10).
0-002.jpg
0-002.jpg (113.59 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
But as having two entries in start-up is normal, I'll leave it. My biggest problem is having to confirm admin rights at startup because Everything is an unknown publisher etc, but I guess I'm not the only one with that problem.

Thanks for the info.
SuperDude

Post by SuperDude »

Which version has the "Service Port" entry? I am running Everything v1.4.1.768b (32-bit), which is supposedly the most current BETA, but it doesn't have the "Service Port" entry option.
therube

Post by therube »

Service is off (I presume that's correct for Win 10)
I would think have the Service off is not typical.

Using the Service allows Everything to run without it having Admin level privileges.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I don't have Properties on right-click on the icon. However, in Options you can see it is set to run as Administrator and Service is off (I presume that's correct for Win 10).
Depends how Everything is installed, the portable version will default to run as administrator, the installer will default to installing the Service (when running as a standard user).
My biggest problem is having to confirm admin rights at startup because Everything is an unknown publisher etc, but I guess I'm not the only one with that problem.
Please try Installing the Everything service and disabling run as admin:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab.
  • Check Everything service.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Click OK.
You'll still have two Everything.exe processes, and you should no longer get the unknown publisher on startup.