Everything v1.4.1.724b (64-bit) - corrupted size and date

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
SuperDude

Everything v1.4.1.724b (64-bit) - corrupted size and date

Post by SuperDude »

Back in September 30, 2015, I posted this bug report http://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopi ... 328#p13328 about "Index file size causes file size corruption" where Everything was showing file sizes that were in the petabyte range. Today, while trying out Everything v1.4.1.724b (64-bit), I found what is possibly the exact same bug. As you can see (in this picture: http://i.imgur.com/JW6n1Xxr.jpg), one of the files is 14 petabytes in size, and its Date Modified and Date Created values are in the years 1690 and 1643, respectively. In my previous bug report, the Date Modified and Date Created columns were blank, if I remember correctly. You can see in the lower right corner that the total size of the 36 files is also wrong.

Whenever I make changes to my important documents, including my Outlook 2013 database file, I immediately make 7 backup copies of those file to multiple disk drives. I then use Everything to check that the files have been copied, by making sure that the file sizes, dates, and time stamps are the same. While testing Everything v1.4.1.724b (64-bit), I noticed that it would sometimes only notice that 4 copies of a file were made, but would not detect the other 3 copies. Everything v1.4.1.724b (64-bit) was missing these changes rather frequently. I experimented by creating copies of files, then seeing if Everything noticed the changes. It was during these tests that I came upon the file size bug shown above. This is the only instance of this bug that I have been able to replicate. I exited out of Everything, deleted the Everything.db file, then restarted Everything - the correct file sizes are now being shown. I haven't been able to replicate this bug since, but I thought I'd report it anyway.
void
Developer

Re: Everything v1.4.1.724b (64-bit) - corrupted size and date

Post by void »

Thanks for the bug report.

There's obviously some sort of corruption happening here when Everything is updating the database.

Is the folder D:\SYSTEM TOOLS\ a NTFS index or folder index in Everything?

Please let me know if the wrong size or dates displays again.
SuperDude

Post by SuperDude »

The D:\SYSTEM TOOLS folder is a regular folder on an NTFS-formatted drive. It's not a folder that is indexed separately. After I exited Everything, deleted the Everything.db file, then restarted Everything, the problem went away.

This may or may not be relevant, but I was messing around with the USN Journal settings awhile back (for no good reason) - For drives C and D, I set the "Maximum size" to 499,968 KB, and the "Allocation delta" to 37,376 KB. I didn't notice any changes to how Everything performed, but I can't change those sizes back to the default sizes, or to any size at all. They're stuck.
void
Developer

Post by void »

This may or may not be relevant, but I was messing around with the USN Journal settings awhile back (for no good reason) - For drives C and D, I set the "Maximum size" to 499,968 KB, and the "Allocation delta" to 37,376 KB
Eventually the Journal would be trimmed to your new size, but this could take a long time since the maximum size and delta are soo large.
Changing the USN Journal size has no effect on Everything.

To change the size and delta immediately you will need to delete and recreate the USN Journal:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options
  • Click the NTFS tab.
  • Uncheck Enable USN Journal
  • Click Apply
  • Check Enable USN Journal
  • Set the new maximum size (32768 KB recommended)
  • Set the new delta (4096 KB recommended)
  • Click OK.
Recreating the USN Journal will cause Everything to reindex the effected volume.
SuperDude

Post by SuperDude »

Thank you, David.