Excessive page faults

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
drorharari

Excessive page faults

Post by drorharari »

I am using Search Everything 1.2.1.371 and the memory utilization is normal (25Mb real / 30 virtual) but I notice that there is an excessive Page Faults activity. Using the regular Task Manager with the Page Faults and Page Faults Delta columns enabled I see the Page Fault Delta hovering constantly between 1000 and 2000 page faults per second.

I have 2Gb of physical memory and Task Manager shows I currently use around 1.95Gb so I am not thrashing. There is a program that is writing to some log file but as file activity is a constant fact of normal PC operation I do not expect to see Everything Search getting page faults because of normal disk activity.

The total page fault I see is around 65,000,000 ...

/d
David
Developer

Re: Excessive page faults

Post by David »

"Everything" accesses a lot of pages due to its database layout.

I am considering the option to lock memory to avoid memory being paged out.

Improvements need to be made to make "Everything"'s memory access linear.
Currently, paging from disk can cause the system to hang for several seconds.
drorharari

Post by drorharari »

I have seen these lock-ups that coincide with heightened disk activity (some sort of vicious circle). I have about 500,000 files and with 2Gb of memory, I'd be glad to 'commit' ES's 30Mb permanently (locking it) to get it work without paging.

/d
daspud

Post by daspud »

I don't believe that all page faults result in an I/O to the disk. I could be wrong on this and I can't cite a source for the belief.

FWIW Online Armor firewall has TONs more PFs than Everything on my system.