Updating Pen Drive

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
nagan

Updating Pen Drive

Post by nagan »

x86
I add a pendrive registering as L: to the folders and set to update @ 1m. After the initial database rebuild all the files with all the column details for the L drive are shown.

I close Everything and also remove the Pen drive. I restart Everything. Now against L: drive it shows only Name and Path and all the other columns are blank.

I insert the Pendrive back and still seen as L: in explorer. After even 2m past , rest of the columns are not updated. Is it not supposed to be? I did not think on those lines and seeing it for the first time. On force update (from folders) , only a few folders are updated.
nagan

Re: Updating Pen Drive

Post by nagan »

x64
Similar behavior in Win 7 too. With the same steps followed , the other columns (except for a very few rows randomed) are not updated even past the update interval. Only force rebuild of Database updates all the columns of the Pen drive. Hope this is sorted out.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything only indexes filenames. It does not index file sizes and dates.

This "extended information" is cached when displayed. The cache will only update when you press F5 or close and reopen the search window for folder indexes.

I plan to add support for indexing file sizes and dates in a future release of Everything.

I will review this for the next beta update.
nagan

Post by nagan »

void wrote: This "extended information" is cached when displayed. The cache will only update when you press F5 or close and reopen the search window for folder indexes.
Ok I did not know about F5 and in case believed pressing update in folders also did a complete refresh. But strangely some rows did display the extended information , hence I thought others were missed.
nagan

Post by nagan »

Suggestions
These are just suggestions , I might not know how much will be practically possible..
1.When the Indexes>>Folders>>Update/now is clicked could the search window be force refreshed for Online folders which might be connected then.
2.When ET senses a folder being online either thru shell notification or the interval-ed updates , could it update all the columns. Right now it happens for only some chunk of rows where all the columns have details , though nothing has changed in the folder.
Thanks.
void
Developer

Post by void »

1.When the Indexes>>Folders>>Update/now is clicked could the search window be force refreshed for Online folders which might be connected then.
I will consider re-querying on folder update requests.
2.When ET senses a folder being online either thru shell notification or the interval-ed updates , could it update all the columns. Right now it happens for only some chunk of rows where all the columns have details , though nothing has changed in the folder.
Thanks.
I would like to index this information instead, rather than cache it on display, but this is a lot of work.. for a future release.

Thanks for the suggestions!