CPU usage issues - Audio drop-outs ASIO sound card

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Scoox

CPU usage issues - Audio drop-outs ASIO sound card

Post by Scoox »

Hi! I am a long-time Everything user and I've been holding onto v1.2.1.451 for a while waiting for the latest releases to provide similar functionality. Today I've tested v1.3.2.649b and functionallity-wise it's ready to replacy the old version on my system. I am really pleased to see that search history and ETP server have been re-added. I also like how the new versions allow me to search for paths containing hyphens. Overall I am loving Everything.

However, I have encountered a problem that most users won't notice: I get an audio dropouts for each character I type into Everything's search box while playing audio through my RME Fireface 400 low-latency ASIO sound card. Since I use Everything for searching my audio sample library while working on a piece of music, it is quite important that the audio is output is not disrupted.

This didn't happen with the earlier versions of Everything so something must have changed. One thing I notice is a drastic increase in CPU usage:

Version 1.2.1.451 max CPU usage during searching = ~10%
Version 1.3.2.649b max CPU usage during searching = ~60%

Since the audio drop-out happens each time Everything updates the search results, disabling search-as-you-type doesn't fix this problem because when I hit Enter to search. I've tried setting both Load icon priority and Load extended information priority to "Idle" but it made no difference. Disabling Fast ASCII search{/i] made no difference either.

I've used DPC Latecy Checker to check for any DPC issues and it all seems fine. Using a very large audio buffer size fixes the problem but then I get huge latency while playing software instruments so this is not an option.

Any help would be appreciated!

void
Developer

Re: CPU usage issues - Audio drop-outs ASIO sound card

Post by void »

I assume you have multiple CPUs.

Everything will use all CPUs when searching in Everything 1.3.
This could cause your audio player to skip if it is using a small output buffer or is running at low to normal priority.

Please try increasing your audio players process priority.

-or-

Please try limiting the number of threads Everything uses to 1.

To limit the number of threads Everything uses to 1:
  • Exit Everything.
  • Edit your Everything.ini file in your Everything installation folder.
  • Change the following line:

Code: Select all

max_threads=0
    to:

Code: Select all

max_threads=1
  • Restart Everything.
This will make Everything slower, if this is a problem, try increasing the max_threads count.
The maximum value is the number of CPUs in your system.
If max_threads is set to 0, Everything will use the total number of CPUs in your system.
Scoox

Re: CPU usage issues - Audio drop-outs ASIO sound card

Post by Scoox »

It works now, no more audio drop-outs. Thanks!