Debug output to a text file

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
nagan

Debug output to a text file

Post by nagan »

649b Win 7 X 64
I tried this Everything.exe -debug > out.txt as mentioned in the guide here. For some reasons always the file out.txt is not found alert always crops up. I even tried naming a empty text file in the said directory as out.txt. I could not get it...
void
Developer

Re: Debug output to a text file

Post by void »

Please confirm you are running the following from a command line prompt:

Code: Select all

Everything.exe -debug > out.txt
nagan

Post by nagan »

Ok. Got it thru command prompt. Seems there is some difference in running certain commands from the "run" box and the command prompt or I have not got it right yet... The debug mode I always run from the run box and it works.
The text file is created in the present directory in the command prompt. But nothing seems to have been written to it. After quitting the debug mode , when checked the file seems to be empty.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Redirection (>) only works from a command prompt (it will not work from Start -> Run)

There is an issue with 649b and redirecting the debug output.
Everything is currently allocating another console.
I will fix this for the next release.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
nagan

Post by nagan »

Now though 653b enables creating a text file , on closing debug after making a few searches, very little data seems to have been added to the output file.

Code: Select all

load localization
load everything icon
create mutex
mutex exists
shutdown
clean exit
kill
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please make sure you exit Everything before running Everything.exe -debug > out.txt
Otherwise running Everything.exe while its already running will just focus the Everything already running and then exit.
nagan

Post by nagan »

Sorry! The function works perfectly.In fact I was running only debugs , hence thought closing the debug window closes Everything. Might be the regular instance was already running at the time and it allows the debug instance with the window to start. It does not close the debug version.