Filter only for path?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
yvonzh

Filter only for path?

Post by yvonzh »

Is there a filter only for path,not include the file/folder name?
path: or "Match path" doesn't work,they'll include the file/folder name
/ or \ doesn't work either,cause they only match the words right behind them.
When you want to find something ,first you recall the name of the file/folder, then you recall the context of the file/folder(path).Right now "everything" treats them as the same "Match Path", but in this case, you'll get a lot of unwanted results.
robertcollier4

Re: Filter only for path?

Post by robertcollier4 »

I was looking to do this too and figured out it can be done with the folder: modifier. But the trick though is that if you want to include more than one word in your search query, you need to enclose the search query with a <> grouping.

Code: Select all

folder:<searchterm1 searchterm2>
Take a look at the Modifiers section of Help>Search Syntax.

It would be nice for Everything to have an option to do this by default (similar to how there is a "Match Path" set as default for all searches on the Menu 'Search'). It gets quite cumbersome to have to repeatedly type folder:<> so instead I am figuring out a way to call Everything programatically from an external input box so that my script can automatically add the folder<> around everything I type.
yvonzh wrote:When you want to find something ,first you recall the name of the file/folder, then you recall the context of the file/folder(path).
Don't you mean the other way around? When I want to find something - I usually remember the context of the file (its folder location) but don't remember the exact file name I gave. So this makes me want to search the directory paths only with folder:<> - then once I have found the context - I can open that directory and remember what I named a certain file.