Refresh Button

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Stamimail

Refresh Button

Post by Stamimail »

A Refresh Button will appear when:
1. There is a complex search that is not real-time.
2. There are folders to rescan

I think from the user's point of view it doesn't matter what causing this button to appear, because by pressing "Refresh Button" the user just wants the results to be up-to-date.

The button should be noticeable[1], and serve as an indicator saying - the results may not be up-to-date.

[1] in my experience the status bar is not considered noticeable, unfortunately.
horst.epp

Re: Refresh Button

Post by horst.epp »

Stamimail wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:48 pm A Refresh Button will appear when:
2. There are folders to rescan

I think from the user's point of view it doesn't matter what causing this button to appear, because by pressing "Refresh Button" the user just wants the results to be up-to-date.

The button should be noticeable[1], and serve as an indicator saying - the results may not be up-to-date.

[1] in my experience the status bar is not considered noticeable, unfortunately.
So with folder indexing you would have that button almost anytime
because Everything doesn't know about the actual contents of the folders regardless of the time of the last scan.
And it should not look into it before the next programed time as this would make folder indexing useless.
And what is the problem with looking into the status line, its all the time on the same place on the screen.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

So with folder indexing you would have that button almost anytime
Yes.
When the Search isn't within a subfolder - the tooltip will be re-index. (like force rebuild)
When the Search is within a subfolder - the tooltip will be rescan. (indexing only that subfolder)
And what is the problem with looking into the status line, its all the time on the same place on the screen.
For example
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Don't clutter the Everything interface with buttons!
Especially if they are for exceptional situations as described above.
Press F5 ...

And I agree with horst.epp: don't use it for re-indexing. Menu:Index > Rescan will take care of that if needed.

If anything, the search bar could be more like the browser's address bar: where there is now a X to clean the serach, that could be replaced with a reload symbol (circle arrow), that turns into an X when a search is busy.
But as almost all searches are instant, the current "clean the search" function is more often 'needed' (it has been asked for a couple of times).
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

I think a Home button will be more useful than the x button ("clean the search").
btw, I'm using the focus shortcut "Focus Search Edit" (Ctrl+F / Ctrl+E), and almost not need a x button for "clean the search".
I guess it was asked because people did not use or even know about this shortcut.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I use CTRL+\ for that. They are next to each other in the left corner of my notebook keyboard.
That also resets all Match .. settings and filters, etc to what I configured under Options > Home.
It is an extra keyboard shortcut for Menu:History > Home, next to the less convenient ALT+HOME.

If you have a multimedia keyboard, it might come with a Browser Home button. Pressing that one has the same effect.
(in 1.5; not configured in 1.4).
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Stamimail wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:22 pm I think a Home button will be more useful than the x button ("clean the search").
Took me a while to find it again, but you can remove the X from the search bar,
Type the following in the search bar and press ENTER:

Code: Select all

/search_close_button=0
(open a new Everything window to see the effect. Or restart Everything)

/search_close_button=1 brings the X back.