Chained search results

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
j2associates

Chained search results

Post by j2associates »

It would be great if Search Everything supported chained searches where the results of Seach #1 would become the input to Search #2, etc. This feature would allow you to write general searches and then successive searches could become more and more refined / granular as needed.

As an example, let's say I want to help a client with some general Excel issues. So I do an initial search for *.xls* to find all Excel files. Then by perusing the result set, I may want to filter more specifically in this or that area. But if chaining were enabled, I would still have my original result set to refer back to as we worked our way through the issues.

Thanks
horst.epp

Re: Chained search results

Post by horst.epp »

j2associates wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:03 am It would be great if Search Everything supported chained searches where the results of Seach #1 would become the input to Search #2, etc. This feature would allow you to write general searches and then successive searches could become more and more refined / granular as needed.

As an example, let's say I want to help a client with some general Excel issues. So I do an initial search for *.xls* to find all Excel files. Then by perusing the result set, I may want to filter more specifically in this or that area. But if chaining were enabled, I would still have my original result set to refer back to as we worked our way through the issues.

Thanks
I don't see a need as you can always add more words or terms to your current search line
while you are typing and this will reduce the number of results show on the fly.
j2associates

Re: Chained search results

Post by j2associates »

I agree that most of the time this works perfectly. But there are cases where you want to drill down and then come back up to maybe drill down in a different area. You could accomplish this by copying the more general search and then recreating it, the suggestion would just make that process easier.