'Natural' number sorting and Autohotkey compatibility

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Specular

'Natural' number sorting and Autohotkey compatibility

Post by Specular »

When sorting files Everything sorts single digit numbers without leading zeros amongst double digit numbers, such as:

Code: Select all

In File Explorer under Windows 8 (and IIRC OSX, too) it sorts naturally, from lowest numerical value to highest - in the example above '2' would be sorted under '1'. It would be useful if Everything supported this sorting, as many files don't feature a leading zero.

Secondly I use an Autohotkey script that performs character replacement on the fly, and it has never been compatible with Everything. A few examples of character replacements I use:

Code: Select all

!e::é
!\::∕ ; forward-slash unicode character
!+\::?
!;:::
By using the Alt modifier in combination with various hotkeys I'm able to insert unicode characters easily for file names. This works in Explorer, and all other apps except for Everything which doesn't register these and makes file renaming more difficult. Any insight into why this may be would be appreciated.
therube

Re: 'Natural' number sorting and Autohotkey compatibility

Post by therube »

> Natural sort

wrong sorting
Specular

Post by Specular »

therube wrote:> Natural sort

wrong sorting
void wrote:There's no option for ''natural'' sorting yet. I do have it on my "things to do" list.
Good to see it's on the to do list at least. Looking forward to it being implemented.

Wish I knew what was causing Autohotkey to not play nice with Everything.
Specular

Post by Specular »

Joy!

Discovered it was the fact that my AHK scripts weren't being run as Administrator. With Everything being run as Admin the scripts couldn't access the window. Now I run the script as Admin via the shortcut I use to have it auto-start with the system.
therube

Post by therube »

If you're using the Everything Service, then Everything wouldn't need to be running "as Admin" (only the service is), so shouldn't your AHK then work?

(Tools | Options | General -> Everything Service. Not sure if an Everything restart is required?)