Add functionality to taskbar

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
therock003

Add functionality to taskbar

Post by therock003 »

I know this has been asked before even on the forum but its another year and another chance to put this out there. Having everything on the taskbar is "everything" id wish for. Oh my god I hope i just tormented you with this cheesy line enough to motivate you on adding it to the next version
NotNull

Re: Add functionality to taskbar

Post by NotNull »

IIRC, it is on the ToDo list for version 1.5.

But you can create a DIY solution for now:
  • Enable URL protocol ( Menu:Tools > Options > General )
  • Enable address toolbar (see image)
  • Precede your searchquery with es: (see image)
  • Everything will open with your search query (see image)
Long story short ... : see image :-D
2018-04-19 21_14_02-.png
2018-04-19 21_14_02-.png (182.05 KiB) Viewed 66216 times
Last edited by NotNull on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

I don't think I will use it for myself (I'm using a hotkey, Win+Alt+Space, to bring Everything up), but your solution is very nice.
I know you can remove the title "Address" from the address toolbar, when the Taskbar in unLocked.
It will be nice to know, if there is a way to make the address toolbar works with Everything by default, without a preceding "es:" :?:
therube

Post by therube »

The "Address" bar looks to also accept batch files, so you could shorten or change what you use to call Everything, but you still need at least a single character preface that points the address to Everything.

So the address bar (command) could be, say, 'E' (for Everything), with 'E' being a batch file, E.bat (or I suppose, E.cmd).
And E could be what I use from a command-prompt, EGO.bat (adjust as needed).

So: E c:\tmp, should open Everything to c:\tmp.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Stamimail wrote:I don't think I will use it for myself
Neither do I :) (*). Saw the post, had an idea, tried it, posted the results and removed the address bar again..

Things might change if Everything gets an addressbar with a drophandler. That way you could select some text from a web page, a document or whathaveyou and drag it to the addressbar and Everything will search for that in it's index (don't know if that's technically possible)
A bit like this, but then more universal.
It will be nice to know, if there is a way to make the address toolbar works with Everything by default, without a preceding "es:" :?:
Well, the way Microsoft treats searching in the most recent incarnations of Windows 10, I wouldn't count on that. They are pushing "Cortana-search" *very* hard. Even formerly functioning group policies to disable web-search now no longer work (seems that way, at least; still have to dig a little deeper)
I suspect they inserted some "booby-traps" in this to prevent people (like me :mrgreen: ) messing with that.
REcently I looked at code to create your own toolbar, There is a function (API?) for that, even including an Edit-box option. Seems a lot easier that way.
(Problems always seem easy in the eyes of the people that don't actually have to do it :))

(*)I run Everything "on demand" (not in background, no tray icon) to save RAM. I have Everything pinned to the tsakbar and start it with Win-3
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

@void:

Was wondering why there aren't much programs (that I know of) that add toolbars to the taskbar.
Haven't found the answer, but found the official terminology for those "things" is Desk Bands

Those are implemented as a COM object. Does the C programming language even support COM objects?

EDIT:It looks like Desk Bands are deprecated .... (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ecated-api)
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have an unreleased semi-working deskband, it uses the standard edit control which does not support the aero glass feature so does not render correctly when using the glass effect on the taskbar.

I would have to implement my own edit control, something I would like to do, it will just take awhile..
I'll try and get something going for the next major version of Everything.
Does the C programming language even support COM objects?
Yes, Everything uses COM objects and is written in C.
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/80485378-3978-472b-ac76-a6a193cb9e47/undefine-cplusplus?forum=vcgeneral
ettb

Post by ettb »

I created an Everything deskband. Maybe have a look at this forum post about it: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4485#p32852
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Cool! Work nice. Looks nice too.

I do have a couple of suggestions. Should I put them here on the forum or on GitHub or ... ?
ettb

Post by ettb »

Thanks!

Feel free to put your suggestions on GitHub if you have a profile on there. Otherwise the forum is fine too!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I do have a GitHub account (just for commenting), but as I will use screenshots from this forum, posting here is better/ easier.
  • Sort results by Run Count and increment the RunCount for the selected file/folder.
    (or make it an option)
    That way the most used folders/files will "bubble up" to the top, making it quicker to find what you were looking for.
    Files without a runcount will be sorted alphabetically, just like now.
    You can use Everything_IncRunCountFromFileName from the SDK to, well .., increase the run count
  • The current list shows name and date for each file. You could also use content view. For examples, see here.
  • Create an exclusion list.
    I was not interested in all the files from WinSxS. But when 'Sort by run count' is an option, that will ehh .. sort itself out ;)
    I believe you can't address/use Everything's Filters from the SDK. That would be an alternative.
  • If you type too fast, EverythingToolbar misses characters sometimes.
    For example, I type "babb" (without the ""), results are shown that match bab, like "12a42e15ca47464839bab6e998404a73".
    A backspace plus a fresh "b" resolves the issue.

Strange:
SysInternal's SigCheck reports EverythingToolbar.dll as 32-bit; Process Explorer says 64-bit .. (Just a FYI)
ettb

Post by ettb »

Those are good suggestions! I can implement/fix most of that. However I don't plan to implement exceptions specific to the deskband as Everything itself can handle that.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

For the people who want to try this, but don't have admin rights (company PC, for example):

I converted the installation routine to be able to run under a "normal" user account. Let me know when interested.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

FYI: I added Everything Toolbar to the list of software that makes use of Everything

Another suggestion:
You register EverythingToolbar under the ProgID (AppID?) CSDeskBand.Deskband.
That might be too generic as it is based on the CSDeskband software, (and I guess CS = C Sharp).
Maybe use a different ProgID to prevent conflicts with other deskbands. You can use (almost) any name you like as long as it doesn't contain spaces.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

ettb wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:46 pm I created an Everything deskband. Maybe have a look at this forum post about it: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4485#p32852
A very cool tool.
If you can add the Windows context menu like in JumpToFolder (from NotNull)
it would completly replace Wox launcher for me.
I only have one problem with the toolbar icon.
Its displayed on the right side of the taskbar (with the other tray icons)
and I can't move it to the left side.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

horst.epp wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:00 pm Its displayed on the right side of the taskbar (with the other tray icons)
You need to unlock the taskbar first:
  • Righ-click an empty part of the taskbar
  • Uncheck (the German equivalent of) Lock the taskbar
  • Drag the toolbar to the left
  • Check Lock the taskbar
  • Done?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

NotNull wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:17 pm
horst.epp wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:00 pm Its displayed on the right side of the taskbar (with the other tray icons)
You need to unlock the taskbar first:
  • Righ-click an empty part of the taskbar
  • Uncheck (the German equivalent of) Lock the taskbar
  • Drag the toolbar to the left
  • Check Lock the taskbar
  • Done?
I tried this already several times without success.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

This is what I did, At which step is it going off the rails?
EverythingToolbar.gif
EverythingToolbar.gif (1.34 MiB) Viewed 65657 times

BTW: Version 0.2 is available on GitHub. With sorting , but not (yet?) with sorting by runcount.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

NotNull wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:57 pm This is what I did, At which step is it going off the rails?
BTW: Version 0.2 is available on GitHub. With sorting , but not (yet?) with sorting by runcount.
The install runs fine and all is working
but I can't move the Icon to the far left (near the Start button).
Its not a real problem for me, my taskbar looks like this now.
Screenshot - 23.09.2020 , 11_03_20.png
Screenshot - 23.09.2020 , 11_03_20.png (37.35 KiB) Viewed 65597 times
Btw. the version 0.2 detailed view is a very helpful improvement
before there was no way to see the location if several entries had the same name.
Also I see the sorting by run count.
ettb

Post by ettb »

horst.epp wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:05 am but I can't move the Icon to the far left (near the Start button).
Unfortunately I can't reproduce your issue. What is holding the toolbar back from moving to the left side?
NotNull wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:57 pm BTW: Version 0.2 is available on GitHub. With sorting , but not (yet?) with sorting by runcount.
You have to enable sorting by run count via the context menu of the search box. You can also enable the detailed view there.

--

As I don't check the forum regularly and I find it hard to track issues with a single thread like this I would prefer if you could create an issue over at the github repo in the future. :)

https://github.com/stnkl/EverythingToolbar
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

ettb wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:38 pm You have to enable sorting by run count via the context menu of the search box.
I know. That is why I was able to say:
But in my case, the only visible sort options were Name, Path, Size, date modified and date created (ascending + descending).

(Probably because I messed around with .net framework a bit too much ...)
ovg

Post by ovg »

2NotNull

For me v0.2:

20200927_114757.png
20200927_114757.png (98.79 KiB) Viewed 65304 times
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Thanks, ovg!

Will try again when I fixed my .net framework (currently I can't even install the toolbar anymore ...)
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

NotNull wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:52 pm Thanks, ovg!

Will try again when I fixed my .net framework (currently I can't even install the toolbar anymore ...)
Version 0.2.1 is available on GitHub
Changes:
Added High DPI support (now requires .NET Framework 4.7 and Windows 10)
Changed GUID to not conflict with other deskbands made with CSDeskBand
ettb

Post by ettb »

horst.epp wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:00 pm If you can add the Windows context menu like in JumpToFolder (from NotNull)
Could you explain in more detail how you would like JumpToFolder to be integrated into EverythingToolbar? I don't see the connection to Wox. There is one thumbs up on the issue over at the github repo so there seems to be some interest. However I'm not sure if I consider this feature within the scope of the project.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

ettb wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:55 pm
horst.epp wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:00 pm If you can add the Windows context menu like in JumpToFolder (from NotNull)
Could you explain in more detail how you would like JumpToFolder to be integrated into EverythingToolbar? I don't see the connection to Wox. There is one thumbs up on the issue over at the github repo so there seems to be some interest. However I'm not sure if I consider this feature within the scope of the project.
The context menu of find items in JumpToFolder is the full context menu of an Everything results entry.
So I can use all functions provided by other tools in the context menu.
In Wox I can search and then jump in Total Commander to this entry from the displayed results.
In the Everything toolbar I can do this only for folders because I made Total commander to open for directory links.
But for file entries I only can open the entry with its default application which is often not what I want.
So I'm not want to integrate JumpToFolder into the Everything toobar, only to show the context menu entries.
ettb

Post by ettb »

horst.epp wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:28 pm The context menu of find items in JumpToFolder is the full context menu of an Everything results entry.
In Wox I can search and then jump in Total Commander to this entry from the displayed results.
In the Everything toolbar I can do this only for folders because I made Total commander to open for directory links.
But for file entries I only can open the entry with its default application which is often not what I want.
So I'm not want to integrate JumpToFolder into the Everything toobar, only to show the context menu entries.
I see. Thanks for the explanation. There will be a few context menu entries in the next release. I will see if I can add more in the future!

horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

ettb wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:09 pm
horst.epp wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:28 pm The context menu of find items in JumpToFolder is the full context menu of an Everything results entry.
I see. Thanks for the explanation. There will be a few context menu entries in the next release. I will see if I can add more in the future!

Thanks, Open Path and Copy Full Name to Clipboard will help much.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

The new beta is big improvement.
One suggestion:
If I select an context menu entry like Copy Path to Clipboard
the toolbar should disappear
ettb

Post by ettb »

Good idea. Thank you!
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

One more suggestion for your context menu:
Add a context menu item like "Open Special".
This should allow to select once any tool which in the future will be started with the entry as parameter.
This way I could directly jump to any entry (Folder or File) in Total Commander without additional steps.
Currently I use the Copy to clipboard and later jump to the clipboard content in Total Commander.
This would also work with many other file managers.
Best implementation would be to also allow additional parameters for the tool definition.
This would allow calling explorer like
Explorer.exe /select,"%1"
ettb

Post by ettb »

horst.epp wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:47 am This would allow calling explorer like
So basically the only difference between the "Open path" context menu and your "jump to clipboard content" method is that it doesn't get highlighted/selected within Total Commander? Does Total Commander have the same /select,"%1" syntax for selecting files?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

ettb wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:10 am
horst.epp wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:47 am This would allow calling explorer like
So basically the only difference between the "Open path" context menu and your "jump to clipboard content" method is that it doesn't get highlighted/selected within Total Commander? Does Total Commander have the same /select,"%1" syntax for selecting files?
No, for Total Commander its enough to get the full path of a folder or file.
Then the cursor will be on this item highlighted, which is much better compared to Open Path.
For Total commander I would optionaly add parameters like
/O /A /S /L="%1"
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

There is an error with the context menu option Show in Everything.
I search for
aidablue\
I get all files in a folder named aidablue, thats correct.
Using the context menu entry Show in Everything on a entry Everything shows nothing
because its startet with the argument
aidablue\\
The \ in the search string is doubled
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

This version doesn't store its settings permanently.
It forgets all settinfs after an Reboot.
Detailed View and selected sort order
and the path to Everything.exe (for the context menu)
ovg

Post by ovg »

horst.epp wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:26 pm This version doesn't store its settings permanently.
It forgets all settings after an Reboot.
I don't have such problems under Win7 and toolbar v 0.3.0.0
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

ovg wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:40 pm
horst.epp wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:26 pm This version doesn't store its settings permanently.
It forgets all settings after an Reboot.
I don't have such problems under Win7 and toolbar v 0.3.0.0
May be it was by an Windows update to build 610 of 20H2 ?
Now I tested again with a reboot and the settings survived.
I will watch it after the next reboots.
jinsight

Post by jinsight »

Support ++

Post by horst.epp » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:47 am

One more suggestion for your context menu:
Add a context menu item like "Open Special".
This should allow to select once any tool which in the future will be started with the entry as parameter.
This way I could directly jump to any entry (Folder or File) in Total Commander without additional steps.
Currently I use the Copy to clipboard and later jump to the clipboard content in Total Commander.
This would also work with many other file managers.
Best implementation would be to also allow additional parameters for the tool definition.
This would allow calling explorer like
ovg

Post by ovg »

horst.epp wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:07 pm May be it was by an Windows update to build 610 of 20H2 ?
I don't have any PC with Win 10, so I don't know, sorry ....
Darthagnon

Post by Darthagnon »

I'm testing Everything Toolbar, and it's working great (Win10 v1709). Still a little slower than using Everything via CTRL+ALT+SPACE, but it's an amazing project as it replaces Windows search in the taskbar and looks completely native (and I have a dream of eventually replacing Windows Search everywhere with Everything).

Thank you so much for making it!
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Version 0.5.0-Beta2 works fine.
Now I can select results within Total Commander or Explorer.
Copy path to clipboard is also fixed.
In this state its a very useful extension to Everything and can replace a launcher like Wox for me.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the awesome Deskband ettb.

Moving the official thread for ettb's EverythingToolbar here:

EverythingToolbar - Everything deskband for the taskbar
shxiaoqu

Post by shxiaoqu »

therock003 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:35 pm I know this has been asked before even on the forum but its another year and another chance to put this out there. Having everything on the taskbar is "everything" id wish for. Oh my god I hope i just tormented you with this cheesy line enough to motivate you on adding it to the next version
增加用户备注功能
Add user notes function
Last edited by void on Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added google translation