Using Everything not as intended......

General discussion related to "Everything".
DrumEngr

Using Everything not as intended......

Post by DrumEngr »

Perhaps someone can steer me in the right direction:
Someone installed Everything on a drive that is a server. If I use a remote login, I can use Everything, and it is great. However, remote login is something that IT is not too happy about.

I have access to a portion of the drive via a vpn connection, but not the portion with the Everything.db database, nor can I access the Everything application. The data on the drive is not changing, so I am not concerned about having the database updated.

Is it possible to copy the Everything.db database to my local computer, run either the Everything application or some other database locally, and be able to get the same search function? I will be able to access the files via my vpn, but finding the files is the difficult, time-consuming part.

Is it possible to interact with the Everything.db file "offline" on another computer?

Thanks in advance for any help someone might be able to provide!
NotNull

Re: Using Everything not as intended......

Post by NotNull »

Everything also has an ETP client/server model.
Using this, you connect from a PC (without local database) using the ETP client to an ETP Server.
Your search will be forwarded to the ETP Server and the ETP Server will send matching results back to the ETP Client, where they will be shown on your screen.

Here you cqan find more information.
DrumEngr

Post by DrumEngr »

NotNull wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:12 pm Everything also has an ETP client/server model.
Using this, you connect from a PC (without local database) using the ETP client to an ETP Server.
Your search will be forwarded to the ETP Server and the ETP Server will send matching results back to the ETP Client, where they will be shown on your screen.

Here you cqan find more information.
Your reply regarding the use of the ETP is greatly appreciated -- thank you very much!

I will forward this information to the IT people to see if this fits into their "permitted" scheme. I'm not savvy enough to understand how this would interact with the existing vpn method used to access the drive.

I am hoping for a more simple solution in which I would take a copy of the Everything.db to another computer, and just search it locally..
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

That is also possible:
- copy Everything.db to your local computer.
- Run the following command:

Code: Select all

Everything.exe -instance "View" -db "C:\path to\Everything.db" -readonly
DrumEngr

Post by DrumEngr »

NotNull wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:29 pm That is also possible:

Thank you very much! This is perfect.
DrumEngr

Post by DrumEngr »

NotNull wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:29 pm That is also possible:

Hello -- Two questions (because it took this long to get clearance from IT to install the program):
Can you tell me if this command prompt command can be used with the Portable version of Everything?
Also, if I am trying to read a *.db file that was last updated in March of 2019, is that still compatible with today's downloaded version of Everything?
I'm trying to do a test first, using the portable version first with an older database both located in the same folder. Prior to launching the portable version, I go to the folder in a command prompt window, enter the command, the "Everything (View)" window opens, but it does not populate the field where I would expect to see the entire file list, because there is nothing yet entered in the search window). Is that because of the two year old db file, or because I need to have Everything running (or maybe running as a service?)?
Thank you.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

DrumEngr wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:57 pm Can you tell me if this command prompt command can be used with the Portable version of Everything?
Yes, no problem.
DrumEngr wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:57 pm Also, if I am trying to read a *.db file that was last updated in March of 2019, is that still compatible with today's downloaded version of Everything?
I'm trying to do a test first, using the portable version first with an older database both located in the same folder. Prior to launching the portable version, I go to the folder in a command prompt window, enter the command, the "Everything (View)" window opens, but it does not populate the field where I would expect to see the entire file list, because there is nothing yet entered in the search window). Is that because of the two year old db file, or because I need to have Everything running (or maybe running as a service?)?
That should still be compatible.

You might have made a typo in specifying the path. But when both Everything.exe and Everything.db are in the same folder, you can simplify the command to:

Everything.exe -instance View -readonly -db Everything.db