Is there a way to force preload Thumbnails?

General discussion related to "Everything".
raccoon

Is there a way to force preload Thumbnails?

Post by raccoon »

When using any of the Thumbnail views (Medium, Large, Extra Large), one must first drag their scroll bar up and down, scrubbing at it for many minutes like hand washing dirty dishes, in order for all of the thumbnails to load and populate. Does Everything have a built-in dishwasher to reduce redness and irritation to my poor dishpan thumbs?
NotNull

Re: Is there a way to force preload Thumbnails?

Post by NotNull »

I have thumbnails disabled, so can't test it, but I think changing the Load thumbnail priority: might help here
(Menu:Tools > Options > General > Results)
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

While that setting does help with the zippiness of loading thumbnails, it doesn't actually cause them all to load autonomously. Only when they are scrolled into view for the first time, on demand. That is, I still have to scroll from top to the bottom of the list, but not too fast mind you, in order for every thumbnail to be loaded into the search results.
joejoe

Post by joejoe »

I came to the forum with just this problem. One can't scroll through ones photos thumbnails fast as one ends up waiting for thumbnails to load. Setting the priority helps a bit but what one really wants is a 'preload all thumbnails' button which appears after a search. You can click it and then do other tasks, return when they are all loaded.
Where are the thumbnails stored? Are they cached somewhere and reused or deleted over time?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Where are the thumbnails stored?
Are they cached somewhere and reused or deleted over time?
Everything will cache thumbnails in RAM.
This cache is cleared when you close the Everything Search window.

Everything will load thumbnails from the OS.
The OS will cache only a small number of thumbnails on disk.

An option to preload thumbnails out of view is in development.

If you would like to try this now: Please note each thumbnails consumes 256 KB of RAM.