FIle and path from non-existing drives

General discussion related to "Everything".
johncz

FIle and path from non-existing drives

Post by johncz »

I am getting a list of files matching a wildcard from nonexisting (removed) drives. I am not sure if this is a bug or issue related to the database.
By the way, I am not able to locate a database. It is not in the location indicated by the options.

Regards,
John
NotNull

Re: FIle and path from non-existing drives

Post by NotNull »

johncz wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:08 pm I am getting a list of files matching a wildcard from nonexisting (removed) drives.
Everything will (default) try to include drives and keep them in the database.

If you want to exclude a specific drive, lets say J:\:
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > NTFS
  • In the Local NTFS volumes: box, select J:
  • Uncheck Include in database
On that same dialog, you can also find options to change the default behaviour of Everything:
- Automatically include new fixed volumes
- Automatically include new removable volumes
- Automatically remove offline volumes

Here you could - for example - enable Automatically remove offline volumes

johncz wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:08 pm By the way, I am not able to locate a database. It is not in the location indicated by the options.
If you enabled Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything (Menu:Tools > Options > General ), Everything.db will be in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Everything.
(Enter this in the address bar of File Explorer to go to that folder)

If you didn't check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything, Everything.db will be in the same folder as Everything.exe.

Note:
The database will only be written to disk when you exit Everything (Menu:File > Exit )
Until that time it will be in RAM.

Note 2:
Make sure you enable Everything Service and disable Run as administrator.
Both can be found under Menu:Tools > Options > General
the Administrator account possibly has a different %LOCALAPPDATA% compared to your "normal" user account
johncz

Post by johncz »

Thanks for your input.
However, I think keeping data is not a good idea. I do not see any value in keeping data for the drive I have removed from the system, or changed drive letters, so the data is irrelevant. If I connect another drive with the used letter I will have to remember removing exclusion.
I have all the options you have mentioned checked. I was under impression that "Automatically remove offline volumes" option will take care of drives that were removed. It contradicts the statement "try to include drives and keep them in the database."
Everything is running as a service on my computer.

About the database: it remains a mystery; if I delete the database file Everything still shows me removed drives. This tells me that the data is kept in some other place too.

I am using Everything for many years definitely more than a decade.

John
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

johncz wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:41 pm if I delete the database file
Make sure Everything is not running when deleting the database, as Everything will write the database from RAM to disk when exiting. And that would cause the unwanted entries to be back.

To exit Everything completely, right-click the Everything icon in the system tray and choose Exit.