speed!

General discussion related to "Everything".
johnddent

speed!

Post by johnddent »

Hi

I love Everything since I have 5 Terra bytes of data to search. amazing speed!

Does anyone know of a duplicates file and folder finder program along the design and speed of Everything?

Thanks

JDD :D
therube

Re: speed!

Post by therube »

A duplicate file finder has to determine what files are duplicate by some criteria.

None work or can work as fast as Everything.
Though there certainly can be speed differences between programs.

No individual DFF does it all.
No individual DFF "is the best".

They will all have features that may or may not be of importance to you, or may or may not work in a way agreeable to you.

Many times you'll end up using various tools (Everything included) in your search for duplicates.

Easy Duplicate Finder
Only the older 2.4 version is free. Fast. Good options, but must do at least a CRC32 check on the files.
(In other words, you cannot find "dups" based on name alone, or name & file size.)

Duplicate & Same Files Searcher
Free, otherwise much the same description as Easy Duplicate Finder. Directory handling is not as good, though the results list is better.

Duplicate Cleaner
Free & can find "dups" on name alone, or name + size ...

There are many, many others, & many other tools (like MD5 hash tools) that can help.

Just came across this (& have only looked at it briefly & running sandboxed), DiskAnalyzer Pro.
Compare its speed in finding name/size or name/date duplicates with that of Duplicate Cleaner. HUGE difference. So one is obviously using a much better algorithm. Perhaps DA is using a MFT for some of it's indexing.
johnddent

Post by johnddent »

Thanks "TheRube" for your input on duplicate eliminator software.

I am currently evaluating a paid software called "DupeTrasher" that seems to be faster than the others that I have tried. Of course none of those I have evaluated are anywhere near to the speed of Everything. Searching through my many hard disks with a duplicate eliminator can take days to complete if the software doesn't crash first. This is obviously not practical. My choices are to buy another hard disk and create more duplicates or to find a good duplicate eliminator. Cost wise, both by time taken and monies spent, a speedy duplicate eliminator would be best. I need to reign in the number of duplicates I have so I can better manage the massive amounts of files and directories I have. Buying more hard drives is not a good choice as I have almost maxed out the alphabet choices of drives [up to drive "V"].

Next I will evaluate the last suggested software you mentioned, Disk Analyzer Pro. Thanks for the link!

A comment on speedy software: The speed of software utilities varies greatly. They all work slower as my program numbers increase. Any with search capabilities drastically slow. This is why I love "Everything." Everything is priceless to me. I previously used a program called "Turbo Searcher" which is the next fastest search engine I found. I still occasionally use it since it has graphical abilities. I will continue to search for fast software which will help me manage my over 500 different programs and plus 6,000 fonts. I know I am pushing the limits of the PC but I do a lot of different work in the engineering and graphical arenas.

Thanks again :D
DickPape

Post by DickPape »

I use a DoubleKiler Pro (http://www.bigbangenterprises.de/en/doublekiller/) to manage a very large font collection. It allows checking by file name (with options), file size (with ranges), file date (with range), and content (crc32 calculation). Having all 4 means you catch every duplicate. In fact, name, size and date are enough. Often file name and size are sufficient.

There are free and shareware versions.