Open Source Status

General discussion related to "Everything".
Christian.Sirolli

Open Source Status

Post by Christian.Sirolli »

I have been looking around on the forums and noticed that users occasionally ask about "Everything" being open sourced. Eight years ago you said (viewtopic.php?t=1645#p5112) "I would like to wait until Everything is out of beta before I make any decision on this subject. That said, I would like to open source Everything, but I can not promise anything yet." I would think that "Everything" is out of beta, so has any decision been made yet?

As many other users have stated, this would be a great thing for "Everything". There are about 30 posts in this forum where people wonder if "Everything" will become open sourced. (https://www.google.com/search?q="open+s ... dtools.com)
w64bit

Re: Open Source Status

Post by w64bit »

Everything cannot be open sourced because the developer is very active, it is doing a very good job and, as a result, the quality of Everything is exceptional.
If you are asking this is because you want the source code. For free.
Maybe, in several decades, when the developer will retire, the software can be open sourced.
alejandro5042

Post by alejandro5042 »

I second Search Everything being open source. I would help with a dark theme, and perhaps additional preview renderers. Eventually I'd love to see full-text search, perhaps using something like ripgrep (https://github.com/BurntSushi/ripgrep).

I love this tool, been using it for many years, been an advocate for others using it, and want to see it evolve as my needs evolve too.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

alejandro5042 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:43 pm I would help with a dark theme
I am not involved in the development of Everything and I don't want to stick my nose where it doesn't belong, but ....

@void also wrote voidImageViewer. It's code is open source and available on GitHub.
I suspect Everything and voidImageViewer share 99% of the theme-related code. Both are written in C, btw.

You could fork that and write the code for a dark theme for voidImageViewer.
"Upload" your dark theme code (or whatever the right GitHub terminology is) and you might end up helping @void - and yourself of course :) - a lot!

alejandro5042 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:43 pm perhaps additional preview renderers
Everything uses the same preview handlers as File Explorer.
Search the internet for (for example) preview handler pdf and you will discover that there are already tons of preview handlers available for different file types.
When you install those, you will get previews in Everything too!
byobu

Post by byobu »

It would be great if "Everything" went open source to gain more trust in that great file search tool! :geek:
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

What is it that you don't trust at the moment?
byobu

Post by byobu »

My problem is, that I'd like to recommend "Everything" to as many users as possible, but there are always false-positives on virustotal.com, so I'd hope that releasing the source code would bring more trustworthiness to that great tool. Installing "Everything" as a system service does have full admin/system access on the OS, right?
w64bit

Post by w64bit »

There is enough information on the forum about false positives. This non-issue is always reported to antivirus companies.
Everything does not have to be open source.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

w64bit wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:00 am There is enough information on the forum about false positives. This non-issue is always reported to antivirus companies.
Everything does not have to be open source.
Fully agree
And why should the strange Anti-virus programs trust an open source tool more than now.
Also David may make Everything Shareware in the future to get more back for his work.
Link

Post by Link »

The code isn't that complex. You can easily reverse engineer the code.
So what's the problem?! I've seen no reason to stop using this program and use my own. The software I wrote is to index external hard drives and that's it. It was based on reverse engineering Everything software. My software keeps track of what I got on the hard drives and are updated when hard drivers plugged in and change.