Searching the content within a file

General discussion related to "Everything".
KBummer

Searching the content within a file

Post by KBummer »

Hello everyone. I am looking to used Everything to search the content of HTML files I have downloaded to my PC. As it currently sits, it only searches and locates the file name, for example used_forklifts.html . I instead need to locate information within the HTML file. I am trying to locate the store manager, so I would be typing either "manager" or "@xxxxxx.com" to see if I can find contact info.

Most websites have this information publicly available and I am able to find a "Contact Us" or a "Directory" page, but some websites have pages that exist with no links from the main pages. I have run across this multiple times now, so I am downloading websites and subpages of these difficult sites and am searching through them.

I am hoping someone can show me a way to configure Everything to search through the files within the downloaded websites. The download is located in a Windows folder, with additonal folders, HTML files, and picture files mostly. The only way I know to accomplish what I'm trying to do is open the HTML files (all of them, sometimes hundreds) individually and copy/paste the text into a gigantic Word/Notepad document and run a search for "manager" or "@xxxxxx.com" from there.

There has to be a better way. Does anyone have any ideas? Can anyone help? Thank you very much, in advance!!! :)
therube

Re: Searching the content within a file

Post by therube »

> file name

That's what Everything does, finds file names.

> locate information within the HTML file

Everything may do just about everything, but it does not do that.

I'm sure there are any number of "find" utilities that do search within files, or file managers that incorporate such a feature.