Why very long sorting

General discussion related to "Everything".
Jondisic

Why very long sorting

Post by Jondisic »

Why Everything so long sort by Date Created(for example) column?
But MasterSeeker also uses MFT table for name searching and sort by Modify Date column - incredible fast!
vsub

Re: Why very long sorting

Post by vsub »

Maybe MasterSeeker do this automatically
If you let Everything scan\sort the database using any search method(except by name and path)at least once since you started it,every next attempt will be instant(until you exit the program)

For example I have 203,782 files and 32,689 folders and I just sorted the files by size and it took some time but after the sorting was done,sorting by anything else or searching for something using complicated criteria,the result was always instant.
Jondisic

Post by Jondisic »

Have you tried MasterSeeker?
Everything ANYWAY needs an hour(s) for the first sorting of thousands of files on many drives, before it starts fast sort from cache.
And MasterSeeker after every run takes a few a couple of seconds for reading MFT(caching), and then immediately can instantly fast sort by Date column. And so after each closing\startup of MasterSeeker. And using Process Monitor I dont find any its database...
HOW?
therube

Post by therube »

The little I could find...

"The whole cache is held in ram. No files are used. I planing to optimize the memory footprint in future versions."

As far as memory is concerned (not that it particularly matters but):

Code: Select all

Everything 34 MB (9 MB .db on disk)
         hddb 75 MB (no real time index updates & entire .db is stored on disk, 26 MB)
MasterSeeker 157 MB (no disk storage)
There was talk on the Everything end of having the ability to store additional data in the .db which would speed up these types of sorts sorts.

Until then, depending on ones needs, an alternative could provide benefits for certain operations.
Jondisic

Post by Jondisic »

ОК. I have 32 Gb of ram. And I want speed.
And NOW, I see, that after reboot my comp - MasterSeeker after its FIRST run - build own cache\database faster, than Everything on FIRST run build\reading own database. And next step - MasterSeeker is ready immediately can instantly fast sort by Date column, - but Everything sort date column hour(s)...
WHY? I see bad algoritm in Everything...
gdv

Post by gdv »

@Jondisic and @therube:

Hi! I'm new to MasterSeeker (hadn't heard of it until I saw this thread yesterday).

A bit off-topic, but do either of you have any knowledge of the status of the MasterSeeker site and ongoing development?

The site currently seems to be off-line (for at least yesterday and today) and the most recent Google cache version is from Oct. 21, 2014. The most recent Wayback version is from Oct. 20, 2014, while the most recent Wayback download of v1.5.1 is from Nov. 21, 2014. So the site may have been up until at least a few days ago (...and maybe it is just down temporarily???).

The MasterSeeker Facebook page is still up, but the last author post was Oct. 18, 2014, while the last user post was Oct. 22, 2014. (I don't do Facebook, or I'd post a question to the author there.)
therube

Post by therube »

> I see bad algoritm in Everything

No, not really.
It is just that size (& some other attributes) are not obtained immediately, but only as needed.

So when you want to sort 1 M items in your list, it actually has to go out & find the size of the majority of the items.

Not a bad algorithm rather a design choice.

(I really know nothing of MasterSeeker other then at one point, when it was v1.2, I had downloaded it & presumably took a [very] quick look & said, OK, but not as good [for my needs]. Likewise with hddb, until it's last release, I had issues with it displaying the C: for my C: drive items & things like context-menu did not work there either. Now it does, but other then a cursory look way back when, I haven't really gotten into its features. Though once I do, if I find something I like, you know where I'm going to suggest ;-).)
Jondisic

Post by Jondisic »

Да что же такое.
Ты тролишь меня чтоли, придурок.
Я уже в ЧЕТВЕРТЫЙ РАЗ повторяю тебе, дибил, а ты никак не можешь понять\не слушеаешь, что тебе говорят, только бестолковые бла-бла от тебя слышны:
And NOW, I see, that after reboot my comp - MasterSeeker after its FIRST run - build own cache\database faster, than Everything on FIRST run build\reading own database. And next step - MasterSeeker is ready immediately can instantly fast sort by Date column, - but Everything sort date column hour(s)...
Last edited by Jondisic on Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jondisic

Post by Jondisic »

_____
Last edited by Jondisic on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jondisic

Post by Jondisic »

therube, надо просто, взять, и попробовать MasterSeeker.
Last edited by Jondisic on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
gdv

Post by gdv »

gdv wrote:@Jondisic and @therube:

Hi! I'm new to MasterSeeker (hadn't heard of it until I saw this thread yesterday).

A bit off-topic, but do either of you have any knowledge of the status of the MasterSeeker site and ongoing development?
therube wrote:(I really know nothing of MasterSeeker other then at one point, when it was v1.2, I had downloaded it & presumably took a [very] quick look & said, OK, but not as good [for my needs]. Likewise with hddb, until it's last release, I had issues with it displaying the C: for my C: drive items & things like context-menu did not work there either. Now it does, but other then a cursory look way back when, I haven't really gotten into its features. Though once I do, if I find something I like, you know where I'm going to suggest ;-).)
@therube:
Thanks for your reply. I see the MasterSeeker site is back on-line now, so it must have been a temporary glitch. 8-)

I'll have to look into Hddb as well (also new to me). But I've been delighted with Everything for years, so either one (MasterSeeker or Hddb) will have to be pretty special or have some important feature not present in Everything for me to have much interest.

BTW, thanks for all your helpful assistance to so many here in the Everything forum. :mrgreen:
Jondisic

Post by Jondisic »

From Hddb help:

<<
How is Hddb different from Everything
•No UAC prompt on startup.
Hddb only need admin permission when building database.
•No real-time updating.
Hddb do not auto update database, you need to call it explicitly.
•Need more resource
Hddb needs more memory and disk space to manage it's database.

This is not good, but I have to be honest.

•Even faster startup
While everything is very fast to start, hddb starts even faster.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
•Fast sorting
In Everything, sorting is slow if not by name. Hddb can sort by any column in one or two seconds.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
•Fast sorting
In Everything, sorting is slow if not by name. Hddb can sort by any column in one or two seconds.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
•Fast sorting
Я процитировал три раза, - чтобы некоторые бестолковые наконец поняли суть вопроса.

•Command-line interface support
Most of hddb's commands can be called in command-line environment.
•Some enhancements
Hddb can show folder size, which can be useful when analysing disk space usage.
>>
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Hddb allows to define up to 12 special actions for any item it founds.
So you can integrate with more than one file manager and other tools.
Current version updates its index on start automatically if you want.
Beeing a fan of Everything for years I have now switched to Hddb.