Can Someone Please Explain Purpose and Use of E HTTP Server

General discussion related to "Everything".
driste

Can Someone Please Explain Purpose and Use of E HTTP Server

Post by driste »

Can Someone Please Explain Purpose and Use of the Everything HTTP Server to a dummy like me? I have read everything I could find on the Wiki and Forum about the HTTP Server but found no basic explanation of what it is all about. Or you can point me to the place to find it. I surmise it is either a way to display Everything local search results in your web browser or to search a remote web/ftp directory with Everything. tks
ChrisGreaves

Re: Can Someone Please Explain Purpose and Use of E HTTP Server

Post by ChrisGreaves »

driste wrote: Thu May 22, 2014 11:55 pmCan Someone Please Explain Purpose and Use of the Everything HTTP Server to a dummy like me? I have read everything I could find on the Wiki and Forum about the HTTP Server but found no basic explanation of what it is all about. Or you can point me to the place to find it. I surmise it is either a way to display Everything local search results in your web browser or to search a remote web/ftp directory with Everything. tks
Before this topic reaches it's tenth anniversary, I would timidly like to venture an answer, which I anticipate, will be confirmed or adjusted by those more experienced than I.

The shortest answer I came up with is:-
"Everything HTTP server allows you to gain access to the files on your computer when you are not sitting at your computer."
Example1: Your computer is at home and you are at work.
Example2: My computer is indoors, but I am working outside in the yard, and have a smart-phone handy.

I am unsure of deeper implications, but I'll try those two for now. Starting with seeing if I can access my laptop via my smartphone when I am standing outside my office window.

Awaiting comment, I am hesitantly yours :D

[[[later]]] I had a feeling I was wrong. In this post froggie points out that this mechanism gives access to a LIST of files, but not to the files themselves.
So: The shortest answer I came up with is:-
"Everything HTTP server allows you to gain access to the names and locations of files on your computer when you are not sitting at your computer."

Chris