thanks for this great tool

General discussion related to "Everything".
masu

thanks for this great tool

Post by masu »

Just want to say thanks for this great tool ;)
jjk

Re: thanks for this great tool

Post by jjk »

Yes, cheers
Really a great great tool. So fast !
Thanks
s33m33

Post by s33m33 »

Thanks David .. truly a wonderful tool.

Light and fast. Portable version hits the sweet spot. :)
ardee

Post by ardee »

It's simply stunning. I would not have believed a tool this fast could be created. What were all the other software authors doing wrong all these years?

Kudos on this great achievement. I've waited 20+ years for something like this.

(When I read about it in PCWorld, I thought it might be worth a look. When I saw that it did wildcards (and was portable!), I figured it was definitely worth a try. When I read that it did REGULAR EXPRESSIONS I was certain I wanted it. And when it indexed all my huge volumes in a couple seconds, I nearly had a stroke.)
crispinb

Post by crispinb »

Yep, I'll chip in my kudos too. Everything has become an essential part of my computer workflow. Thanks.
gunrunnerjohn

Post by gunrunnerjohn »

I'll post a "me too" here as well. :D I found that the new search for Window 7 sucks big time, it's so cumbersome it's unusable! This works better than any Windows search ever has, and is lightning fast to boot. Most folks use search to look for files, not content, this does the job great! I never even look at the Windows kludge anymore.
daspud

Post by daspud »

ardee wrote:...... And when it indexed all my huge volumes in a couple seconds, I nearly had a stroke.)
I heard that David is going to start requiring proof of medical insurance before giving out the links to the product. ;)
Rochey

Post by Rochey »

Love it! Love it! Love it!

Unbelievable! Since finding this tool I have completely changed the way I use my pc. I used to use FARR (find and run robot) with locate32. Now I have got rid of them for Everything as it does both (especially with the run frequency). The only thing that I use locate32 for now is remote servers (They are work servers so I can't install Everything on them unfortunately).

Thanks again for 'Everything' (pun intended).
I look forward to the updates.
Rochey
joema

Post by joema »

gunrunnerjohn wrote:...the new search for Window 7 sucks big time, it's so cumbersome it's unusable!...
Win7 search isn't quite so bad once you learn a few tricks, but it's nowhere near as lean, mean and fast as Everything.

Everything can apparently do leading wildcard indexed lookups -- most impressive. Most indexing tools (inc'l Win7 search) don't support that.

Note Win7 search has Advanced Query Syntax, where you can do sophisticated search operations: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... query.mspx

But Everything is just a masterpiece -- simple, reliable, fast, intuitive. It just works.

By contrast Microsoft spent 6 billion dollars on Vista, and several billion more on Win7. They have teams of researchers studying user behavior in laboratories. Despite this Win7 search requires going to *three* separate locations to adjust indexing: (1) Explorer drive properties | general tab (2) Control panel indexing options, and (3) Control panel folder options | search tab. I guess their next step will be add a wizard that wallpapers over that.
courtneycoles27

Post by courtneycoles27 »

thank you for sharing it.... its cool :D :D :D
Detail Diva

Post by Detail Diva »

My QB 2008 and Win 7 aren't playing nice together, and I am following QB suggested solutions. Just wasted a ton of time trying to find a hidden file I needed to rename! :evil:

Win 7 search was uselessin this task. Found a note about your utility in an online post, downloaded it, and found the file in 5 seconds. THANKS!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
daspud

Post by daspud »

Detail Diva wrote:...Win 7 search was uselessin this task. Found a note about your utility in an online post, downloaded it, and found the file in 5 seconds. THANKS!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
You will NEVER go back to "normal" searching. I use SE 50 or more times each day. It is my program launcher for all but the most frequently used programs.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

daspud wrote:You will NEVER go back to "normal" searching. I use SE 50 or more times each day. It is my program launcher for all but the most frequently used programs.
I heartily agree! Especially with fact that Everything remembers the last result that I launched for a particular search string... epic! :D