Is Everything Search still under development?

General discussion related to "Everything".
eswul62

Is Everything Search still under development?

Post by eswul62 »

Just curious to know: is it still being supported/under development?
Considering the latest version is 'Beta'.
Since last update on 26 June 2013 it became quiet, whereas there were more frequent releases in the past.
24 June 2013
20 June 2013
16 June 2013
7 May 2013
4 May 2013
=
talkinrock

Re: Is Everything Search still under development?

Post by talkinrock »

I was wondering the same thing...

I sent David an email a couple days ago asking about that (among other things), but have yet to receive a reply.

Hopefully, he's just on a short hiatus this time, unlike the 4 year break that happened last time. :(
eswul62

Post by eswul62 »

Me too, sent him an email on november 15th, together with a donation.
No reply, nothing.
Considering the 24th of june release still being beta and no newer beta's, although before that date the updates were fairly frequent
and no reply on mail or donation, all this brought me to question about the developments.

Maybe David is on a long vacation .. ;)

=
nagan

Post by nagan »

Let us hope he turns back soon. Lot of bugs have cropped up. last month I thought the forum was down perhaps due to constant spambotting. Who has restored that? If it is indeed Void then there is some iota of hope...
eswul62

Post by eswul62 »

Yes...
I do hope David will continue with this: I meanwhile checked out UltraSearch, but it seems to me that UltraSearch is (much) slower as it does not create a database.
=
eswul62

Post by eswul62 »

Well, I guess, after half a year of no developments or feedback... David stopped with it, regretfully so.
hv looked at master-seeker but it connects to Internet and I am not sure I like that.
nagan

Post by nagan »

Last , David was planning to bring the entire ambit of the search field from NTFS indexes rather than only 5 columns being done now, to eliminate entire delay.
2.Also there was some proprietary file handling system developed for Win8+ systems which he would want to crack on.
3.Also real time , independent indexing on plugging on rather than a complete rebuild done now.

Hope he is doing something in his spare towards all these. The times he did spend in the forum gives everyone the filip to look forward for more. ;)

Hope he returns soon..
dylmeyers

Post by dylmeyers »

Seriously? I just downloaded this. It will be a bummer if its not being supported anymore. Can anyone answer the question of how to do searches that are not exact matches but like contain parts of words/phrases that you might not remember how they are written or spelled exactly, and if Everything doesn't do that is there anything else anyone knows about?
talkinrock

Post by talkinrock »

dylmeyers wrote:Seriously? I just downloaded this. It will be a bummer if its not being supported anymore. Can anyone answer the question of how to do searches that are not exact matches but like contain parts of words/phrases that you might not remember how they are written or spelled exactly, and if Everything doesn't do that is there anything else anyone knows about?
Don't "quote" me on this (haha... ha. Sorry for the awful pun.), because I don't use the RegEx feature too often, but I believe you use an asterisk after whatever partial text you are entering. If that doesn't work, you can always look under the "Help" menu in the Everything software, and look at the "RegEx" section and see what the expression is that is used to match partial text.

Also, you could do what I do, which is NOT use RegEx (that means "regular expression" by the way), and turn on the setting that shows the results as you type them. This shows partial text matches, at least for me, whenever I type part of a word/phrase in the search field (I say that it works "for me, at least" because Everything seems to be working a bit differently for every user lately, due to all the bugs).

Anyway, hope that helps...

P.S. - If asterisks aren't used to match partial text, someone please feel free to correct me, as I don't want to be giving out misinformation. Also, I'm typing this on my iPhone, so I didn't have the Everything software handy to actually check if I'm correct regarding the use of asterisks in RegEx, so that's why I had to guess from memory. Once again, sorry if my tip was wrong. :D
rpsgc

Post by rpsgc »

dylmeyers wrote:Seriously? I just downloaded this. It will be a bummer if its not being supported anymore. Can anyone answer the question of how to do searches that are not exact matches but like contain parts of words/phrases that you might not remember how they are written or spelled exactly, and if Everything doesn't do that is there anything else anyone knows about?
As far as I can tell Everything does that by default. Just type whatever and it should show everything that has that string of numbers or letters.