A couple of suggestions/requests

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
tcyiu

A couple of suggestions/requests

Post by tcyiu »

Starting with the heartfelt THANK YOU. Great utility. Boggles the mind that MSFT with their $B cannot do this. Here are a couple of suggestions that would only be slight improvements on an already GREAT app.

Here's my first suggestion:

When I move a large file (e.g. AVI) between two drives by dragging the file from one Explorer window to another, both Explorer windows are available to me while the file transfer is taking place. i.e. I can navigate within either window, I can move the window and resize them etc.

If I were to drag a file from Everything to Explorer, both windows are locked. I cannot move, them, change dirs etc. It would be great if Everything were written such that a move operation does not lock the either process (and their windows).

Here is a second suggestion: After switching to Windows 7, when using Explorer, I noticed that if I click twice on a file or dir name to edit the name, the dot extension is automatically excluded from my edit. Microsoft still allows me to change the extension if I consciously want to do so. But by default, the filename is selected for editing since most people only change the name of files and not the extension. I have found this feature change by MSFT to be supremely useful. I no longer have to use the arrow keys to navigate to the filename only.

When I locate files with Everything, and want to change the names, I see that we're back to the XP mode. i.e. clicking twice on a file name highlights the entire name including the dot extension. It would be wonderful if we have an option to adopt the Win7 model since most of us do not intend to change the file extension, just the name.

Thanks again.

Tim
void
Developer

Re: A couple of suggestions/requests

Post by void »

When I move a large file (e.g. AVI) between two drives by dragging the file from one Explorer window to another, both Explorer windows are available to me while the file transfer is taking place. i.e. I can navigate within either window, I can move the window and resize them etc.
I have moved the execution of a copy/move/delete to a separate thread to fix this issue for the next release of "Everything".
Here is a second suggestion: After switching to Windows 7, when using Explorer, I noticed that if I click twice on a file or dir name to edit the name, the dot extension is automatically excluded from my edit. Microsoft still allows me to change the extension if I consciously want to do so. But by default, the filename is selected for editing since most people only change the name of files and not the extension. I have found this feature change by MSFT to be supremely useful. I no longer have to use the arrow keys to navigate to the filename only.
Add to my "Things to do" list.

Thank you for your suggestions.
therube

Post by therube »

Add to my "Things to do" list.
A configurable option, I suppose ;-).
void
Developer

Post by void »

A configurable option, I suppose ;-).
Yes, It would be the same as Windows, which you can override in "Everything", ie:

File name renaming selection:
  • Use Windows settings (Default).
  • Select file name and Extension.
  • Select file name only.