"White list" together with "Exclude list"

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Helix751

"White list" together with "Exclude list"

Post by Helix751 »

Hi

I am actually using the "Exclude folders" list to exclude the Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\* files and folders to keep appearing on the search results as often there are similar/duplicate files that match the required ones.

But, there are some specfic files in subfolders inside the "Roaming" folder that I'd like to be returned for searched.

A "White list" that takes precedence over the "Exclude folders" list would be great to use them concurrently.

Thanks in advance.
void
Developer

Re: "White list" together with "Exclude list"

Post by void »

Please try modifying your "Everything" filter:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Exclude tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Enable exclude list (please make sure all files are included)
  • Click OK.
  • From the Search menu, click Organize filters....
  • Select the Everything filter.
  • Click Edit....
  • Change the Search to:

!"Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\*" | "Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\folder to show 1\" | "Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\folder to show 2\" | "Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\folder to show 3\"

Change <user> to your username. Change 'folder to show 1-3' to the folders you wish to whitelist. | = OR
    This filter will be applied when the Everything filter is active.
    Filters can be activated from the Search menu, Filter bar (View -> Filters), right clicking the status bar, filter macro or filter keyboard shortcut.
  • Click OK.
  • Click OK.
Helix751

Re: "White list" together with "Exclude list"

Post by Helix751 »

Wow. Thanks for the heads-up! This actually did the job. Hadn't thought about filters instead of white/black lists. Paradigms.

btw, I'm currently using a combination of filters (for combinated filter out+in) and Exclusion list (to filter-out never-to-be-included folders)

Thanks again