File not found

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
edpell

File not found

Post by edpell »

Using Win XP Pro SP3

I searched for the Windows bootlog file, ntbtlog.txt, but Everything did not find it. In my experience, if Everything does not find a file, it doesn't exist, so my next step was to try to find out why it didn't exist; a fool's errand. It turns out it does exist ... in the Windows folder.

I then used Everything to try to find several other files that are in the Windows folder and it did. I used the Windows Search function and it found ntbtlog.txt. I used the search function in xplorer2 which also found the file.

It makes me wonder what other files Everything is not finding.
Why do you suppose Everything could not find it?

Thanks
EdP
therube

Re: File not found

Post by therube »

Seemingly it should find it. Found it here.
(I'll assume that there is no typo, & CaSE is unchecked ...)

Only guessing, but ...

Check Errorlog.txt in the Everything installation directory & see if that may provide any clues.

Otherwise follow through on the steps mentioned here, Everything automatically closes after a second (i.e., -debug, deleting the .db, running CHKDSK).

PS: Everything searches the MFT. Windows Search & Explorer2 do not.
edpell

Post by edpell »

Thanks for the quick response.

Just to be sure, Match Case was unchecked and I copied/pasted the file name. Didn't find it.

Opened errorlog.txt - No entries were made since 6/21/10

I deleted the .db file and ran in debug mode - No error indicators in the command window

It now finds that pesky file.
Unfortunately, I did not test it after deleting the .db file, so I don't know whether deleting the .db file or running in debug mode fixed the problem. I'd guess recreating the .db file did it.

Thanks for the advice.

EdP
motif1

Post by motif1 »

I had the same problem, I couldn't find a file that I knew existed but I didn't know where I put it. Which is my most common use for Everything, and BTW a great program, way better than the windows indexing service, a resource hog that I could never figure out and didn't work right much of the time, so I turned that whole thing off.

But I was surprised to see Everything not finding a file, because it had always worked great (win7 pro on dell e4200 laptop with no other apparent problems, everything 1.2.1.371). I found this thread, and just deleted the .db file. Then Everything found the 'hidden' files. So I guess it was only a .db problem.

Does it mean we have to delete .db occasionally?