ETP edit/rename/remove freezing.

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
currentyear

ETP edit/rename/remove freezing.

Post by currentyear »

Hi there. When I connect to an ETP server, everything works great, however when I go to rename / delete a file, ES completely freezes. 9/10 times I have to force close ES, re-open & re-connect to the ETP server. The other 1/10 it stops freezing however I still am unable to re-name or delete said file.

Client machine is running on win10:

Code: Select all

Version 1.3.4.686 (x64)
My local version is on win7:

Code: Select all

Version 1.3.4.686 (x86)
I've had other people try as well and no luck

This was me connected to the ETP server trying to right click on the everything installer, and it being unresponsive when trying to do anything after that. Hitting F2 to rename does not work either, nor does hitting delete.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.
void
Developer

Re: ETP edit/rename/remove freezing.

Post by void »

Thanks for the gif.

What Link type are you using in your ETP connection? ftp ://host/? C: \\SERVER\C? C:?
currentyear

Post by currentyear »

void wrote:What Link type are you using in your ETP connection? ftp ://host/? C: \\SERVER\C? C:?
\\SERVER\C

I honestly wasn't sure of the differences there was between these, I saw on the support page the descriptions of each, but I still didn't fully understand.

The ETP server is not on the same LAN, fyi, if that can make a difference in selecting the ETP connection.

Thanks for the quick response!

edit:

Okay so I tried using all of them. All 4 connection.
"C:" connection does not crash, however the rename changes do not stay & cannot delete.
"\\SERVER\C" & "\\SERVER\C$" both crash
"ftp://host/C:" does not crash, however the rename changes do not stay & cannot delete.
Last edited by currentyear on Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything ETP works best when the server shares all its drives. (eg: C: drive shared as C, D: drive as D...)

If the ETP server is not on the same LAN I would recommend using FTP links.

You won't be able to rename or delete files, but it should prevent Everything from freezing.
When using \\SERVER\C links Everything would be trying to lookup the server and since its not on the LAN would cause Everything to hang.
currentyear

Post by currentyear »

void wrote:Everything ETP works best when the server shares all its drives. (eg: C: drive shared as C, D: drive as D...)

If the ETP server is not on the same LAN I would recommend using FTP links.

You won't be able to rename or delete files, but it should prevent Everything from freezing.
When using \\SERVER\C links Everything would be trying to lookup the server and since its not on the LAN would cause Everything to hang.
Right okay that makes sense. Thanks for that, switched to FTP now, no more crashing. Appreciate the help.

On the renaming / deleting aspect, is that not available due to security concern? Or just how the connection and indexing are established? Not a big deal, just interested in why that is the case.

Thanks for all your help! :D
void
Developer

Post by void »

ETP only manages the list of files.

Opening, renaming, deleting etc is managed by Windows by using the specified link type (ftp,\\SERVER\C) for access.

ETP depends on the existing Windows Shares to avoid rewriting them.
currentyear

Post by currentyear »

void wrote:ETP only manages the list of files.

Opening, renaming, deleting etc is managed by Windows by using the specified link type (ftp,\\SERVER\C) for access.

ETP depends on the existing Windows Shares to avoid rewriting them.
Gotcha. Thanks for all your help today!