Two functions

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
goldie

Two functions

Post by goldie »

Hi,
I'm currently using a thing called SwiftSearch https://sourceforge.net/projects/swiftsearch/ for fast system-wide searching (MFT-based) and Executor http://executor.dk/ for fast program/path execution (FS indexing). They are both great tools but as I have used them I felt they are actually doing pretty much same thing just from a different angle. How? Well, searching for files/folders from hard disk to do something with them and to have a ready-made index of hard disk contents for fast program/document/path execution are actually a same thing. So apparently I use two programs that overlap on ~80% of functionality. So I decided to see if there's a single tool that does what both of those do. Everything seems like it could do, well... everything. ;) Anyway, the main drawback in using Everything as it is is the fact that its UI is static - a big block of empty window that covers everything. Would it be possible to make the window height dynamic so it would start as a text entry box and would grow and shrink as the results appear? Or maybe give it 2 separate hotkeys to bring it up as a search tool (Win+F, looking as it is) or as a 'Run...' box (Win+Z, a small text box with dynamic drop-down menu which would grow and shrink as the results appear). The latter would maybe also have support for custom keywords (like 'google voidtools' would open Google etc), maybe option to auto hide window if lose focus? Would be cool to get a single fast program that does the job of two.
Attachments
Everything as 'Run...' box
Everything as 'Run...' box
Clipboard03.jpg (16.58 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
Executor text entry and hits
Executor text entry and hits
Clipboard01.jpg (21.71 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
PeterPanino

Re: Two functions

Post by PeterPanino »

Nothing hinders you to program a small Everything-control-utility which does exactly what you describe above. You can do everything with Everything by using the command-line.

For a few bucks I can easily make you such a utility.
goldie

Re: Two functions

Post by goldie »

That's an interesting idea. Does it require (ugly) shell hooks or can it be done just by sending messages to running Ev. instance?