Using Everything to find and move specific files

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
questorfla

Using Everything to find and move specific files

Post by questorfla »

Love the Program!
I have found it to be consistently better than Windows Search. One thing that I would like to be able to do (if possible) is to find all files of a certain type in a group of folders and move those files to another folders but maintain the directory structure. I can get Everything to export a text file showing the path to each file with no problem. However, using that list to move the files found to another drive letter seems to be harder than I thought it would be.

Searching for PST files in users i can find every one of them (totaling several hundred) and the exported text list shows the full path to each. C:\Users\1\2\3\4\*.pst (each number is to represent a folder level)
But I cannot find a way to move only these .pst files to a new drive letter such as "O:\users\1\2\3\4\*.pst.

I started trying to use the list as an input for robocopy but still ran into problem because some of the levels in the path may contain spaces (I think that was the problem). Is there a feature in Everything that I am just missing that would do this without having to use a second program?
therube

Re: Using Everything to find and move specific files

Post by therube »

If you're using a program (batch file...) that needs quotes, Options | Results | Double quote copy as path.