Starting Everything with maximized window

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
thirl88

Starting Everything with maximized window

Post by thirl88 »

For no particular reason I only got around to updating to 1.4.1.1024 today. Yeah, I'm lazy.

Previously, when I launched Everything, whether for the first time since boot up or from running in the background, it would open its window maximized and at the front of any other open windows. It would open maximized even if the shortcut icon I was using did not have "open maximized" set.This was OK, it is how I wanted it to behave - but I don't remember ever having to do anything to make this happen. I thought it was default behavior?

Since updating to 1.4.1.1024, when I launch the program its window opens minimized, effectively behind all other open windows. I quickly saw that if I set "open maximized" in a Everything shortcut icon it will then open maximized. However, I have hundreds of Everything shortcuts dotted around my system with different custom search strings in them. For instance, to quickly search for all songs by a particular artist without having to re-type their name every time - like I said, I'm lazy.

After trying various things I found that setting "Run as Administrator" within the built-in options makes the Everything window open maximized and in front of other windows. Is this the only way to achieve this or am I missing a simple "open maximized" setting? I prefer not to run Everything as administrator because it causes issues when used in conjunction with other programs - such as Stream Deck - if they are not also run as administrator.
void
Developer

Re: Starting Everything with maximized window

Post by void »

Everything should remember your last maximized state.

Please try maximizing an Everything window, exit Everything and restart Everything to see if your maximized state sticks:
  • Maximize an Everything window.
  • From the File menu, click Exit
  • Restart Everything.
  • Is the window maximized?

Please make sure Everything is installed correctly and running as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.
thirl88

Post by thirl88 »

Hi, thanks for the help. I now have the window opening maximized and at the front (or where ever I want it)!

The only thing that was not already set as you listed was the Everything Service option which was square-checked and not tick-checked. But would this have an affect on the window opening status?

Anyway, all is now back to normal. thanks again.
void
Developer

Post by void »

But would this have an affect on the window opening status?
It shouldn't have..

Everything will wait for one minute to connect to the Everything Service.
This might prevent Everything from saving your settings immediately.