[SOLVED] Finding files of certain extensions stored in folders which partial name user suspects to exist

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

[SOLVED] Finding files of certain extensions stored in folders which partial name user suspects to exist

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

Is it possible in Everything after writing on the spot any filtering expression, like e.g. "hhhhh jjjjjjjjj", to somehow show a list of files with extensions ABC and 123 that are either:

#1] located in any folder that have both "hhhhhh" & "jjjjjjjjj" in their name, but not necessarily in that order and / or adjacent

#2] located in any sub-folders that are hosted within folders that have "hhhhh" & "jjjjjjjjj" in their name, but not necessarily in that order and / or adjacent

#3] located in any sub-folders that are named "xxxxxxxxxxxx" and "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" which are nested within any folder that has "hhhhh" & "jjjjjjjjj" in its name, but not necessarily in that order and / or adjacent

All in all I need to find every ABC and 123 file that has something to do with name consisting of "hhhhh" & jjjjjjjjj", either by its name or path leading to it. In other words: a file that might or might not be nested at some level in folder that utilizes elements of such name and / or which file itself might have them in its name, with high probability of such file being stored in folder "xxxxxxxxxxxx" and / or "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz". And the caveat when using Everything is that I cannot be forced to write down those ABC and 123 extensions in Search Edit box- but only a [partial] name of what I am looking for [i.e. "hhhhhh" & "jjjjjjjjj"], so that I will no be burdened with repetitive writing of filtering expressions

So I reckon this would have to be some Bookmark, after choosing of which I would need only to add a name at its end in Search Edit box? Or could it also be a Filter, using of which would have the benefit of making the Search Box clear of filtering expression clutter [as it would contain only a written down by me name that I am searching for]?
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Re: Finding files of certain extensions stored in folders which partial name user suspects to exist

Post by void »

#1] located in any folder that have both "hhhhhh" & "jjjjjjjjj" in their name, but not necessarily in that order and / or adjacent
Please try the following search:

parent-name:<hhhhh jjjjjjjjj> ext:abc;123

#2] located in any sub-folders that are hosted within folders that have "hhhhh" & "jjjjjjjjj" in their name, but not necessarily in that order and / or adjacent

ancestor-name:<hhhhh jjjjjjjjj> ext:abc;123

#3] located in any sub-folders that are named "xxxxxxxxxxxx" and "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" which are nested within any folder that has "hhhhh" & "jjjjjjjjj" in its name, but not necessarily in that order and / or adjacent

ancestor-name:<hhhhh jjjjjjjjj> ancestor-name:<xxxxxxxxxxxx zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz> ext:abc;123

It's not 100% accurate as their might be an "xxxxxxxxxxxx zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" ancestor before the "hhhhh jjjjjjjjj" ancestor.

For more control, you'll need regex:

regex:(hhhhh[^\\]*jjjjjjjjj|jjjjjjjjj[^\\]*hhhhh).*[^\\].*(xxxxxxxxxxxx[^\\]*zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz|zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz[^\\]*xxxxxxxxxxxx) ext:abc;123
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Re: Finding files of certain extensions stored in folders which partial name user suspects to exist

So...

There is no way to just simply add at the very end of pre-defined search expression a part of for example title of a movie- and as a result see if there are files with subtitles for it, which may have in their names some part of searched for title? Because there is always gonna be some more or less extensive writing and / or adjusting involved?

I cannot afford on a daily basis to read, aim within expressions and re-write them on the spot; I long for choosing preferably a Filter from its drop-down menu and writing e.g.
matrix
in order to immediately locate files like

Code: Select all

C:\Users\YOUR-USER-NAME\Documents\the.matrix.1999.2160p.sub

D:\torrents\matrix.sub

E:\sub\matrix 1.idx
E:\sub\matrix 2 reloaded.idx
E:\sub\matrix 3 revolutions.idx
E:\sub\matrix 4 resurrections.idx

F:\The-Matrix-Tetralogy\subs\1\en.txt
F:\The-Matirx-Tetralogy\subs\2\en.txt
F:\The-Matrix-Tetralogy\subs\3\en.txt
F:\The-Matrix-Tetralogy\subs\4\en.txt

G:\The_Matrix_Resurrections\stuff\subtitles.cc

Z:\movies\The Animatrix アニマトリックス\3_English.srt
Something like
void wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:37 am regex:(hhhhh[^\\]*jjjjjjjjj|jjjjjjjjj[^\\]*hhhhh).*[^\\].*(xxxxxxxxxxxx[^\\]*zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz|zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz[^\\]*xxxxxxxxxxxx) ext:abc;123
is thus the exact opposite in terms of user-friendliness and efficiency in regards to such [frequently performed] tasks
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please consider enabling Match Path from the Search menu.

Search for:

matrix ext:sub;idx;txt;cc;srt

Consider adding a subtitles filter:
  • From the Search menu, click Add to filters....
  • Change the Name to: Subtitles
  • Change the Search to: ext:sub;idx;txt;cc;srt
  • Click OK.
  • Active this filter from the Search menu and search for:
    matrix
Thy Grand Voidinesss

So an easy and quick way would be to just use a Filter [with my very own list of subtitle extensions viewtopic.php?t=13017] - and just write
matrix

while also having selected the

Search > Match Path

But then I would have to remember always to deselect that Match Path

I have tried creating a copy of my Filter with Match Path selected for it in its Edit Filter window of options, but it does not seem to work like when I turn this on via the Search global option

Thus: can this but turned into a Bookmark - at end of which I would just write [in this example] matrix? Or better: how to make this variant of my Filter to start working with Match Path applied just to it?
void
Developer

Post by void »

To apply path: with a filter:
  • From the Search menu, click Add to filters....
  • Change the Name to: Subtitles with Path Search
  • Change the Search to: ext:sub;idx;txt;cc;srt ::path: search:
  • Change the Macro to: swps<search>
  • Click OK.
::path: will match enable Match Path globally.
You'll need to specify a macro so when this filter is active your entire search is appended after ::path:
Thy Grand Voidinesss

This seems to working - thus another problem solved by you

So thank you very much