how to add folders to a file list, without adding their files

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
jimspoon

how to add folders to a file list, without adding their files

Post by jimspoon »

I'm trying to think of a good way to gather folders from various locations into a single place so I can use those multiple folders as a drop target, e.g. for a copy or hardlinking operation (copies or hardlinks to go into each of the selected folders). I don't know of a better way, so I thought I might make a file list. I tried dragging a folder from the Everything search results page to the file list editor, but when I did, the folder and all of its files/subfolders were also added to the file list. Is there a way to add just the folder without adding its contents? Or is there a better way to collect various folders to act as a drop target?
jimspoon

Re: how to add folders to a file list, without adding their files

Post by jimspoon »

I pressed Ctrl+Shift+C the paths of selected folders, but when I pasted them in the file list editor, FLE treated them as Files, not Folders. That's because the pasted paths did not have trailing backslashes. When I added the trailing backslahses, FLE recognized them as paths to Folders, not files.

In the screenshot below, I added trailing backslashes to the first four pasted paths, but not the last four:

void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try enabling copy_path_folder_append_backslash:
  • Copy and paste the following into the Everything search box:
    /copy_path_folder_append_backslash=1
  • Press ENTER in the Everything search box.
  • If successful, copy_path_folder_append_backslash=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
This setting should be enabled by default in Everything 1.5.
jimspoon

Post by jimspoon »

Thanks! It works. Paths copied with Ctrl+Shift+C now have trailing backslashes, and when pasted into File LIst Editor, are recognized as folders: