Sort by size, descend by date taken auto-refresh?

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
anmac1789

Sort by size, descend by date taken auto-refresh?

Post by anmac1789 »

Hello, How do I add a custom keyboard shortcut for right clicking on the "Find size duplicates" columns ? When i delete a duplicate file from the search results, how do I make it auto-refresh/update the result list so that it's always up-to-date without me having to manually find size duplicates?

Also, how do I make the current results apply sort by date taken in ascending/descending order without having to re-adjust by ascending/decending?

Thanks
void
Developer

Re: Sort by size, descend by date taken auto-refresh?

Post by void »

Hello, How do I add a custom keyboard shortcut for right clicking on the "Find size duplicates" columns ?
I will look into adding a keyboard shortcut to find size duplicates.

Thank you for the suggestion.

For now, please consider a find size duplicates filter and setting a keyboard shortcut to activate this filter:
  • In Everything, from the Search menu, click Add to filters....
  • Change the Name to: Size Duplicate
  • Change the Search to: dupe:size
  • Change the Keyboard shortcut to: Ctrl + Shift + D
    (you can use any keyboard shortcut you like)
  • Click OK.
Press your Size Duplicate filter keyboard shortcut to activate your Size Duplicate filter.

When i delete a duplicate file from the search results, how do I make it auto-refresh/update the result list so that it's always up-to-date without me having to manually find size duplicates?
Everything doesn't track duplicate files in real-time.
You will need to double click DUPE in the status bar, right click the size column header and click Find duplicates again..

Using the above filter may help here.
Pressing your Size Duplicate filter keyboard shortcut when the filter is already active will activate the "Everything" filter.
Press your Size Duplicate filter keyboard shortcut again to re-apply your size duplicate filter.
(In short, press your size Duplicate filter keyboard shortcut twice)

Also, how do I make the current results apply sort by date taken in ascending/descending order without having to re-adjust by ascending/decending?
I am not quite sure what you mean here.

If you want Everything to remember your date taken sort you will need to index the Date Taken property and enable fast sort:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Properties tab on the left.
  • Click Add....
  • Select Date Taken and click OK.
  • Check Fast Sort for instant sorting.
  • Click OK.

Everything will sort by descending order first.
Are you looking to sort by ascending order first?

If you mean keep the sort by date taken after finding size duplicates, consider the following search:
dupe:size sort:date-taken
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

Yes for the most part this is what I want to do, keyboard shortcuts make it alot easier. Thank you
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1316a adds the "View | Find Name Duplicates" and "View | Find Size Duplicates" commands.

You can bind a keyboard shortcut to these commands from Tools -> Options -> Keyboard.