use Everything Property or Windows Property System property?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
jimspoon

use Everything Property or Windows Property System property?

Post by jimspoon »

I wanted to include a Camera Model column in my search results and be able to sort by it. In the properties / column lists in Everything, Camera Model appears both under Everything properties and Windows Property System properties. I thought, maybe it's better to use the Windows Property System property, because it seems to be already indexed by Windows Search.

(In the Windows Indexing Options > Advanced Options > File Types dialog, the jpg extension is checked and the filter is set to "File Properties filter". I don't know what properties are indexed through this filter, but I read this "Only standard metadata for the selected file type will be indexed by the "File Properties Filter", and varies depending on the file. Generally the properties of a file as shown in the Details tab of a file's properties will be indexed." Since Camera Model is listed there, I assume it's already indexed.)

Trying a search with the Camera Maker and Camera Model columns added, these columns fill in as I scroll through the results. There is a bit of a delay, but not bad. Sorting by camera model takes a very long time; in fact I aborted the sort when Everything prompted me a few times.

I assume I can get better results if I add these properties to the index and select "Fast Sort". Should I select the Everything Properties or the Windows Property System properties? Are they they in fact different things or are they the same thing? Are there pros and cons?
void
Developer

Re: use Everything Property or Windows Property System property?

Post by void »

The Everything Camera Model property and the Windows Property System Camera Model property are exactly the same.

The Everything Camera Model property actually uses the Windows Property System Camera Model property.

To search your Windows index from Everything, please try the system-index: search function (or si: search function for short)
For example:

si:cameramodel:"COOLPIX P6000"

To add the Everything Camera Model property to your index:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Properties tab on the left.
  • Click Add....
  • Select the Everything Camera Model property and click OK.
  • Check Fast Sort for instant sorting.
  • Click OK.
Searching for cameramodel: will now be instant.
If you enabled Fast Sort, sorting by camera model will now be instant.

Indexing properties in Everything