Index journal to monitor file and folders

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
harryray2

Index journal to monitor file and folders

Post by harryray2 »

I would like to monitor my date created and date modified files in real time.
As I need it in real time I'm thinking of using the index journal.

Some questions:

1.Is it possible to open more than one index journal window at a time or am I restricted to just one window?
I tried using both of my instances to open a window so that I have one window showing the date modified and one showing date created but it's not very satisfactory and there appears to be a lag in the results refreshing.

2. Can functions be used in search?

3.I currently use D:\harry\Everything64.exe -instance harry to open an instance.
Can I add to this to open index journal on startup and if I'm able to do this can it be started with operators so that I don't have to enter the operators each time in search?

4. Can index journal show, for instance, file modified and folder modified at once or possible to enter in the search box just the functions that I want (or exclude the ones I don't want)
I want to folders created, folders created, files modified and files created.

5. I'm assuming that the index journal isn't affected by exclusions or temp exclusions, is that correct?

Thanks
void
Developer

Re: Index journal to monitor file and folders

Post by void »

Thank you for your questions harryhay2,

I have on my TODO list to search your Index Journal from within the main Everything window.
It might be a index-journal: search or something similar.
I also wish to replace "recent changes" with the Index Journal with support for searching for files in the Index Journal by date.

The main purpose of the Index Journal is to keep an audit of database changes for the Everything Server.
An Index Journal is required to keep client indexes up to date.

1.Is it possible to open more than one index journal window at a time or am I restricted to just one window?
Currently, no.
Only one Index Journal window can be opened at a time.

2. Can functions be used in search?
Only basic partial text matching is supported.
! = NOT
regex: = regular expressions

Can I add to this to open index journal on startup and if I'm able to do this can it be started with operators so that I don't have to enter the operators each time in search?
Currently, no.
This might be doable from the main search window in a future release.

4. Can index journal show, for instance, file modified and folder modified at once or possible to enter in the search box just the functions that I want (or exclude the ones I don't want)
Currently, no.
Currently only one action can be selected at a time.
It's on my TODO list to support multiple actions.

5. I'm assuming that the index journal isn't affected by exclusions or temp exclusions, is that correct?
Only files in your index are shown in the Index Journal.
Excluded files are not shown in the Index Journal.
(If you rename a file that would be excluded, the Index Journal will log that file as being deleted)

Temp-excluded files are always shown in the Index Journal.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks for the answers...

Is there a way to get past the lag if I open index journal from two instances or could it be down to my system?

Do you have any plans to make dm: and dc: searches in Everything real time or is this not feasible?
I'm having to refresh fairly frequently to get the proper results.

Using index journal solves the real time problem but at present is slightly too confusing for what I want.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Is there a way to get past the lag if I open index journal from two instances or could it be down to my system?
The database must be loaded before the Index Journal can be shown.

If you show the Index Journal before the database is loaded, the request will go into a queue, once the database is loaded the Index Journal is shown.

Do you have any plans to make dm: and dc: searches in Everything real time or is this not feasible?
It is on my TODO list.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, real time would solve the problem and I wouldn't have to use index journal.

If I open two index journal windows from two different instances I am letting the database load first but I still get a lag on one of the iwindows
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Could I also suggest, if possible, a pause updates on the index journal.
void
Developer

Post by void »

An option to pause the Index Journal is on my TODO list.

Thank you for the suggestion.

For now, please pause the Index Journal by pausing updates under the Index menu in the main search window.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Revisiting this subject, would it be possible to have omissions and temporary omissions reflected in the index journal? Thanks
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will consider an option to do this.
Thank you for the suggestion.

For now, please use Tools -> Options -> Exclude
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Great...Thank you.