Tabs quick closing en masse and prevention of it proposition for update

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Tabs quick closing en masse and prevention of it proposition for update

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

What I will propose below for Everything's Tabs is coming straight out of my long time positive experience with Tabs feature in filemanager FreeCommander:

Close All Tabs - there should be an option [available both as an entry in the right click menu and as an icon] that would close altogether all Tabs

Lock Tab - there could be an option that would prevent user from accidental / quick closure of important Tabs by popping up question if a given [locked] Tab should be really closed when clicked manually and omitted automatically from being closed when the above option would be executed; and as such they should then be also somehow visually marked as being locked
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Mon May 27, 2024 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Re: Tabs quick closing en masse and prevention of it proposition for update

Post by void »

Close All Tabs - there should be an option [available both s an entry in the right click menu and as an icon] that would close altogether all Tabs
Close the window to close all tabs.

A 'close other tabs' item is on my TODO list.

Lock Tab - there could be an option that would prevent user from accidental / quick closure of important Tabs by popping up question if a given [locked] Tab should be really closed when clicked manually and omitted automatically from being closed when the above option would be executed; and as such they should then be also somehow visually marked as being locked
Locking tabs is on my TODO list for a future release.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

void wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:50 pm [...]
Close the window to close all tabs.
[...]
I would kindly suggest then to implement also an option that when activated would restore [session of] Tabs when user re-opens Everything; all of them or only locked ones

And also for people who might prefer an opposite approach an option that when activated would close Tabs when Everything is merely minimized to the Tray; all of them or only locked ones
void
Developer

Post by void »

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> session_store_restore_on_first_shown_window

I assume locked tabs would auto restore by default and would be a separate setting.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Yes, this works, thank you

The last thing I would like to kindly suggest is to create a separate

Tools > Options > Tabs

section that would hold all settings related to Tabs
void
Developer

Post by void »

I am considering adding session_store_restore_on_first_shown_window to Tools -> Options -> UI.

Tools -> Options -> UI will contain all the 'simple' tab related options.

Thank you for the suggestions.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

The locked tabs I think is similar to the Browser's pin tabs feature, although not losing the titles.
I suspect the context of locking tabs can be combined with the concept of manually saved sessions (manually named, manually opened).
I think there's the question of whether to automatically update those sessions. I suspect there's going to be a concept of dynamic vs static saved sessions.
So I save a session, and later reopen it and add a new tab or several - do those tabs get added to the session you had opened? a dynamic session it would automatically, a static session it wouldn't and you'd need to save the state manually to the session you had opened from a menu item (or save as a new session), and perhaps a third state for a session would be that it asks on closure whether to save back or discard. However given you open several tabs and may only want some saved back I think this means you might want for each tab a "Save to Session" and this I think is fairly synonymous with the idea of a locked tab being mentioned here, except the session in question is a default session.
David