Feature Request:Cli/Search command to reload other config files such as Macro/Bookmarks etc

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Ralf_Reddings

Feature Request:Cli/Search command to reload other config files such as Macro/Bookmarks etc

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

Many times one needs to reload one or more config files after modifying them outside of Everything
This is especially useful for when you need to mass edit a number of bookmark or macro items, to correct redundant paths, drives etc or even as part of a build system that is used to unify things system wide.

For some time now, I have been making do with
Everything64 -bookmark "Restart Now"
, which essentially calls the search command
/restart-now
, it discards any recent settings and invalidates recent DB changes, furthermore, it can be prohibitive as the DB has to be
reloaded all over again and this takes a while for large DB files, on top of that local network drives always end up getting rescanned upon a restart.

I thought maybe I could try to automate the GUI window through the dreaded "open..." system dialog via
tools
>
import and export settings...
but apparently that does not apply to settings files such as bookmarks, filters.

So with that being said, I ask if you could provide a means to reload the following files either via a search command or a command line much like how
/config-load [filename]
works:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything-1.5a.ini      <--- For controlling things like localisation strings etc
Bookmarks-1.5a.csv
Macros-1.5a.csv
Omit Results-1.5a.csv
Filters-1.5a.csv
CustomProperties.csv                                      <--- Custom values for properties file that is assigned to "property_user_values="
This would bring Everything in a similar line to how editing config files work in popular programmes like Visual Studio Code, Windows Terminal, Obsidian, etc etc

Thank you for any consideration on this.
Ralf_Reddings

Re: Feature Request:Cli/Search command to reload other config files such as Macro/Bookmarks etc

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

I forget to clarify, I understand recent in window changes being lost upon request to reload settings, my main concern is circumventing the Database invalidation/reloading bottleneck.
void
Developer

Re: Feature Request:Cli/Search command to reload other config files such as Macro/Bookmarks etc

Post by void »

Many times one needs to reload one or more config files after modifying them outside of Everything
This is especially useful for when you need to mass edit a number of bookmark or macro items, to correct redundant paths, drives etc or even as part of a build system that is used to unify things system wide.
Please use the about:config search command.
Make your external changes.
Accept the prompt in Everything to reload your config.

I will consider about:bookmarks (and other variants) to do the same.

For now, Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks.
Cut the bookmarks.
Paste them in your text editor.
Edit as needed.
Paste them back in the bookmark organizer.

/restart-now
, it discards any recent settings and invalidates recent DB changes
That is exactly what this function is designed to do.
Please do not use it.

It is only useful for performing a full reindex:
/delete-db
/restart-now

So with that being said, I ask if you could provide a means to reload the following files
I have put on my TODO list:
/load-bookmarks <filename>
/load-macros <filename>
/load-omit-results <filename>
/load-filters <filename>
/reload-property-user-values

I will likely add /bookmarks-load aliases too.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Ralf_Reddings

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

Thank you for clarifying the search command and for your considerations. Looking forward to it!
Ralf_Reddings

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

I cant believe this is actually possible now, this will help greatly in managing Everything, thank you for quickly addressing these suggestions, much appreciated.