Open path/folder in a new Everything tab?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
tilapiaflapjacks

Open path/folder in a new Everything tab?

Post by tilapiaflapjacks »

I know Everything 1.5 has this function that works like a normal file browser, opening one folder after another without showing subfolder contents. The main thing I use a normal file browser for is for opening the folder itself so I can see its contents and I do this through 'ctrl + enter' or right click > open path. I was wondering if there's a way to do it all in Everything instead? Open path inside a new Everything tab with subfolders already turned off? If it's not directly implemented already, let me know a workaround that does the same thing thanks
void
Developer

Re: Open path/folder in a new Everything tab?

Post by void »

Right click a folder and Ctrl click Explore in Everything to open in a new tab.

To set the default subfolders state:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Advanced tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show settings containing, search for:
    home
  • Select: home_treeview_subfolders
  • Set the value to: true (for subfolders) or false (for no subfolders)
  • Click OK.

Right click a file in the path column and under the parent folder submenu, Ctrl click Explore in Everything to open in a new tab.
tuska

Post by tuska »

void wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:56 am Right click a folder and Ctrl click Explore in Everything to open in a new tab.
Right click a file in the path column and under the parent folder submenu, Ctrl click Explore in Everything to open in a new tab.
That doesn't work for me (any more?).

Please help.

Post by void »

What happens? is the Explore in Everything menu item shown?

-The Explore in Everything menu item is only shown if the folder sidebar is shown.

Use Shift + right click to show this menu item when the folder sidebar is hidden.
tuska

Post by tuska »

Right-clicking on a folder or on the path shows these context menu entries for me:

2024-05-24_Context menu_Explore in Everything_new Tab.png
2024-05-24_Context menu_Explore in Everything_new Tab.png (15.8 KiB) Viewed 1583 times

I am currently unable to create a new tab via a context menu entry.
The folder sidebar is hidden.
tuska

Post by tuska »

I can create a new tab by dragging and dropping a folder, a file or the path.
tilapiaflapjacks

Thanks! I didnt know the drag and drop as well as the right click path > parent folder > Explore in Everything. It is a bit cumbersome though, I don't want to right click every time I want to do that. The closest keyboard shortcut I've found is Explore Path in Everything, but that converts the current Search tab into an Explore/Folder tab, is there a way to have it create a new Explore/Folder tab when that shortcut is used?
tilapiaflapjacks

tuska wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:45 am I am currently unable to create a new tab via a context menu entry.
The folder sidebar is hidden.
You need to right click the path (pressing ctrl here is not needed)
and then ctrl+click on "Explore in Everything" note this is not the same as "Search in Everything".
"Explore in Everything" will only show up if you have the Folder tree enabled. You can do this by enabling View > Folders
If you didn't press CTRL while clicking, it will not open a new tab for you.
Last edited by tilapiaflapjacks on Fri May 24, 2024 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
tuska

Post by tuska »

tilapiaflapjacks wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:26 am
tuska wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:45 am I am currently unable to create a new tab via a context menu entry. ...
You need to right click the path (pressing ctrl here is not needed)
and then ctrl+click on "Explore in Everything" note this is not the same as "Search in Everything".
Thank you, but it doesn't work for me.
When I do this, menu "File" > "New Search Window - CTRL+N" is executed.
tilapiaflapjacks wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:26 am
tuska wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:45 am The folder sidebar is hidden.
"Explore in Everything" will only show up if you have the Folder tree enabled. ...
No.
I get the context menu entry "Explore in Everything..." not only when I switch on the "View" > "Folders - (SHIFT+Q in my case)"
but also in my default view: Everything Options - 1.5.0.1378a (x64) > General: Home.

Let's wait for the author's answer.
tuska

Post by tuska »

2void

In this context I would like to ask whether the setting: open_new_windows_in_tabs ... true
should create a new tab with CTRL+N? This is currently also not the case for me.

Reference: new window in tab not working?

Developer

Post by void »

I am working on making "Search in Everything" menu item more prevalent from within Everything.

For now, please use the "Search in Everything" menu item from the main File menu.

ctrl+click on "Explore in Everything" note this is not the same as "Search in Everything".
When I do this, menu "File" > "New Search Window - CTRL+N" is executed.
I get the context menu entry "Explore in Everything..." not only when I switch on the "View" > "Folders - (SHIFT+Q in my case)"
What is the value for your Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> ctrl_open_search_action setting?
What is the value for your Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> context_menu_explore_in_everything setting?
-setting this to Show will always show the "Explore in Everything" menu item.
Have you added a custom "Explore in Everything" context menu in your registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell?

In this context I would like to ask whether the setting: open_new_windows_in_tabs ... true
should create a new tab with CTRL+N? This is currently also not the case for me.
No, open_new_windows_in_tabs will not prevent new windows.
You can always create a new window from File -> New window.

Use Ctrl+T to create a new tab.

This setting will only apply to:
running Everything.exe when enabling Tools -> Options -> UI -> "Create a new window when running Everything".
-or-
Opening Everything from the system tray icon when enabling Tools -> Options -> UI -> "Create a new window from the system tray".
tuska

Post by tuska »

2void
Thank you for your prompt reply and explanations.
void wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:19 am I am working on making "Search in Everything" menu item more prevalent from within Everything.
For now, please use the "Search in Everything" menu item from the main File menu.
I seem to remember that during this action (started in Total Commander)
a new tab was opened in Everything earlier.
void wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:19 am What is the value for your Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> ctrl_open_search_action setting?
What is the value for your Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> context_menu_explore_in_everything setting?
-setting this to Show will always show the "Explore in Everything" menu item.
ctrl_open_search_actionNew tab
context_menu_explore_in_everything(Use default) *)
*) As shown in the image above and below, I have this context menu entry.
void wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:19 am Have you added a custom "Explore in Everything" context menu in your registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell?
Yes.

Reference:
Explore in Everything context menu item

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Explore in Everything...\command
"C:\Everything\Everything64.exe" -parentpath "%1"

2024-05-25_'Explore in Everything...'_context menu_in Registry.png
2024-05-25_'Explore in Everything...'_context menu_in Registry.png (19.53 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your reply tuska,

Ah, Everything is not treating -explore as a 'search' so it gets shown in the existing window.

The next alpha update will treat -explore and -explore-path as 'searches'.

For now, please edit your custom 'Explore in everything' command to:

"C:\Everything\Everything64.exe" -parentpath "%1" -new-tab
tuska

Post by tuska »

void wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:57 am For now, please edit your custom 'Explore in everything' command to:
I'm sorry, but despite this setting (checked again after restarting the PC), no new tab is opened.

Tested with Everything 1.5.0.1378a (x64):
- Context menu entry: "Explore in Everything...", "Search Everything...", "Explore File Parent Folder in Everything..."
- Folder, file, path, view - Folders ... in Everything
- Folder, file, path ...................... in Total Commander 11.03 (x64)
- Command line in Total Commander: C:\Everything\Everything64.exe -parentpath "%1" -new-tab

A new Everything window is always opened.

Post by void »

I haven't been able to prevent -new-tab from working my end.

Could you please send debug logs:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, click Start Debug Logging....
  • In Everything, Right click a folder and click your custom Explore in Everything command.
  • From the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, click Stop Debug Logging....
    ---This will open your Everything Debug Log.txt in Notepad.
  • Could you please reply with the contents of this file.
tuska

Post by tuska »

Everything Debug Log 2024-05-25 13.18.46.txt

Code: Select all

2024-05-25 13:18:46.487: Config: allow_multiple_windows=1
2024-05-25 13:19:05.906: cl: "C:\Everything\Everything64.exe" -parentpath "D:\Musik\#_Best-of" -new-tab
Last edited by void on Sat May 25, 2024 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: trimmed log
void
Developer

Post by void »

-new-tab will always override Tools -> Options -> UI -> Create a new window when running Everything.exe in the next alpha update.

For now, please consider the following:
Disable: Tools -> Options -> UI -> Create a new window when running Everything.exe
-or-
Enable: Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> open_new_windows_in_tabs
-or-
Enable: Tools -> Options -> UI -> open searches in tabs
tuska

Post by tuska »

2void

Disable: Tools -> Options -> UI -> Create a new window when running Everything.exe
I would not like to do that.
If this option is NOT ticked, then Everything is closed after pressing the ESC key instead of being sent back to the systray.

Enable: Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> open_new_windows_in_tabs
... does not help here.

Enable: Tools -> Options -> UI -> Open searches in tabs
... is exactly the option I need to CREATE A SEPARATE TAB with the CONTEXT MENU ENTRIES mentioned above and below. :!: :)
("Explore in Everything...", "Search Everything...", "Explore File Parent Folder in Everything..." --> CTRL+Click is NOT required!)
(I don't know why I didn't see the option earlier or if it wasn't already switched on at some point :roll: )

Thank you very much for your prompt support!
This is solved for me.
tilapiaflapjacks

tuska wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:59 am This is solved for me.
Could you test that if you bound the command File | Explore in Everything to a keyboard shortcut, it still creates a new tab for you? Because that's what I'm trying to achieve. I've tried to copy your settings but haven't been able to replicate creating a new tab without using CTRL when clicking in the context menu and no luck with using a shortcut neither.
tuska

Post by tuska »

tilapiaflapjacks wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:35 am Could you test that if you bound the command File | Explore in Everything to a keyboard shortcut, it still creates a new tab for you?
I am currently NOT aware of any SHORTCUT that could be used TO OPEN A NEW TAB in Everything for this command.

File | Explore in Everything -> Shortcut "ALT+Q (Result List)"
No, ALT+Q does NOT open a new TAB for me.
Instead, the 'Folder sidebar' is opened in the same window ("View" > "Folders" ) and the path is opened in it,
which corresponds to the context menu entry "Search Everything...":
This is the path of the folder that was selected in the "Name" column.
It does not matter whether the path in the "Path" column was previously focussed.

File | Explore Path in Everything -> Shortcut "ALT+E (Result List)" newly created
Here, the 'Folder sidebar' is opened in the same window ("View" > "Folders" ) and the path is opened in it,
which corresponds to the context menu entry "Explore in Everything...":
This is the path of the folder that was selected in the "Path" column.
It does not matter whether the folder in the "Name" column was previously focussed.

Brief summary

Name							Shortcut (File or path in the result list marked) |     Notes...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Name" column
File | Explore in Everything				ALT+Q (Result List) ... OR ...		'Folder sidebar', "Name" column, Same window
							2 (NUMERIC KEYBOARD) (Result List) *)
File | Search in Everything				0 (NUMERIC KEYBOARD) (Result List)	 "Name" column, Same window
Result List | Hot Item | Search in Everything		, COMMA (NUMERIC KEYBOARD) (Result List) "Name" column, Same window
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Path" column
File | Explore Path in Everything			ALT+E (Result List)			'Folder sidebar', "Path" column, Same window
Result List | Parent | Explore in Everything		6 (NUMERIC KEYBOARD) (Result List)	'Folder sidebar', "Path" column, Same window
Result List | Hot Item Parent | Explore in Everything	7 (NUMERIC KEYBOARD) (Result List)	'Folder sidebar', "Path" column, Same window

File | Search Path in Everything			1 (NUMERIC KEYBOARD) (Result List)	 "Path" column, Same window
Result List | Hot Item Parent | Search in Everything 	8 (NUMERIC KEYBOARD) (Result List)	 "Path" column, Same window
Result List | Parent | Search in Everything		9 (NUMERIC KEYBOARD) (Result List)	 "Path" column, Same window
*) It is unclear to me why, when trying to define a digit on the numeric keypad as a shortcut
sometimes only the following definitions can be made, e.g:
3 (Result List) -OR-
3 (Global)
because these then have a different function than e.g. 3 (NUMERIC KEYBOARD) (Result List) or the shortcuts do NOT work(!)
I have encountered problems with the digits 1-5, for example. The digits 6-9 could be defined correctly immediately.

Example of a different function:
- 2 (NUMERIC KEYBOARD) (Result List): 'Folder sidebar', "Name" column, Same window
- 2 (Result List): NO 'Folder sidebar(!), "Name" column, Same window

--------------------------
I am currently not aware of any SHORTCUT that could be used TO OPEN A NEW TAB in Everything for these commands.

Perhaps one would need such entries, which are supplemented with "in new tab", such as those listed below?
File | Explore in Everything in new tab ... OR ... File | Explore in Everything - new tab
File | Search in Everything in new tab ... OR ... File | Search in Everything - new tab
etc.
--------------------------
tilapiaflapjacks wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:35 am I've tried to copy your settings but haven't been able to replicate creating a new tab without using CTRL when clicking in the context menu ...
Just for the sake of completeness, I would like to mention again that in my case a single click on one of the following
context menu entries is sufficient to open a new tab:
- Explore File Parent Folder in Everything...
- Explore in Everything...
- Search Everything...

These are currently my settings (without any claim to completeness and correctness in this context):
Everything Options - 1.5.0.1378a (x64) > General > ✅ Show Search Everything folder context menu item
Everything Options - 1.5.0.1378a (x64) > UI > ✅ Open searches in tabs   :!:
Everything Options - 1.5.0.1378a (x64) > Advanced > ...

context_menu_explore_in_everything	(Use default)
ctrl_open_search_action			New tab
hotkey_explorer_path_search		true
open_search_action			Existing window
shift_open_search_action		New window
show_focus_on_search			false
Explore in Everything context menu item:
Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Explore in Everything...\command

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Explore File Parent Folder in Everything...\command
C:\Everything\Everything64.exe -parentpath "%1"

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Search Everything 1.5a...\command
"C:\Everything\Everything64.exe" -path "%V"

So unfortunately I can't help you - I'm just a hobby user...

⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺
2void
In this context (e.g. with tests) I would like to have the following:
A command with which I can close or open the 'Folder sidebar' in a bookmark.
Examples:

/hide-foldersidebar
/show-foldersidebar
Then a shortcut would usually be enough for me to restore my standard view.
void
Developer

Post by void »

tuska

Post by tuska »

void wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:07 am /show-folders
/hide-folders
/toggle-folders
Thanks for the tip!   :)
Another important step for me in the direction of "Default view".

Notes
1. Unfortunately I often don't think of the "Folder sidebar" first when I think of "Folders" (/hide-folders).
    A renaming of the command, e.g. /hide-foldersidebar would please me very much...

2. If these commands had an option so that they only work PER TAB (default), then it would be perfect for me.
    This also includes the command /hide-preview (View - Preview).
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1379a adds the following search commands:

/toggle-folders-sidebar
/show-folders-sidebar
/hide-folders-sidebar

Sidebars are currently a per window option.
I will consider support for a per tab option in a future release.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I am working on making "Search in Everything" menu item more prevalent from within Everything.
"Search in Everything" is now shown under the Open menu item.

To hide this menu item:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Advanced tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show settings containing, search for:
    menu
  • Select: context_menu_search_in_everything
  • Set the value to: Hide
  • Click OK.
context_menu_search_in_everything
tuska

Post by tuska »

void wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:38 am Everything 1.5.0.1379a adds the following search commands:

/toggle-folders-sidebar
/show-folders-sidebar
/hide-folders-sidebar

Sidebars are currently a per window option.
I will consider support for a per tab option in a future release.
2void

Thank you very much for your efforts!
I have successfully tested the new commands.

PS: "Open path/folder in a new Everything tab?"
By the way, I noticed that for a new tab one can use in addition to CTRL+T (Global)
also the shortcut which is stored in 'Everything' Options, e.g. 1.5.0.1379a (x64) > Keyboard > New window Hotkey.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for testing 1379a tuska,
To open a folder in a new tab:
Right click the folder, hold down Ctrl and click "Search in Everything".

To open a path in a new tab:
Right click in the path column, under the Parent folder submenu, hold down Ctrl and click "Search in Everything".

I will consider adding the following commands (where you can bind keyboard shortcuts):
Search in Everything (New Tab)
Search in Everything (New Window)
tuska

Post by tuska »

void wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:14 am Thanks for testing 1379a tuska,
To open a folder in a new tab:
Right click the folder, hold down Ctrl and click "Search in Everything".

To open a path in a new tab:
Right click in the path column, under the Parent folder submenu, hold down Ctrl and click "Search in Everything".

I will consider adding the following commands (where you can bind keyboard shortcuts):
Thank you for this information! :)
B1-66ER

Post by B1-66ER »

void wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:14 am I will consider adding the following commands (where you can bind keyboard shortcuts):
Yes, they are highly demanded, also move tab to new window
Found that Shift+E on context menu can Explore in Everything in new window. Is it a design of Everything or inherit from Windows?
void
Developer

Post by void »

move tab to new window
It's on my TODO list.
Thank you for the suggestions.

Found that Shift+E on context menu can Explore in Everything in new window. Is it a design of Everything or inherit from Windows?
It's just Windows running the menu item starting with E
Windows will only do this if there's only one entry starting with E
B1-66ER

Post by B1-66ER »

void wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:18 am It's just Windows running the menu item starting with E
Windows will only do this if there's only one entry starting with E
Yes, for E, but the shift functions, as new Window, never tried modifier on menu items.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1381a adds the following commands:

File | Explore in Everything (New Tab)
File | Explore in Everything (New Window)
File | Explore Path in Everything (New Tab)
File | Explore Path in Everything (New Window)
File | Search in Everything (New Tab)
File | Search in Everything (New Window)
File | Search Path in Everything (New Tab)
File | Search Path in Everything (New Window)

Keyboard shortcuts can be bound under Tools -> Options -> Keyboard.
tuska

Post by tuska »

2void
Thank you for these additional commands! :)