great many files and folders are missing from the following "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common folder:"

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
FrozenGamer

great many files and folders are missing from the following "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common folder:"

Post by FrozenGamer »

I just checked and it is true on 2 computers, and i installed/reinstalled/rebooted/tried alpha (1.5.0.1376a x64). the files and folders i believe are in the index, but not in the above search.. i am simply trying to figure out the size of steam games and uninstall a few via everything search function. It works fine in another steam library folder which isn't located within program files x86 directory.

I have read other posts and made sure many settings are checked unchecked.
Such as hidden files not excluded system files not excluded.
PS 2x contributor to your amazing work.. also am i on the latest alpha since it looks like alpha hasn't been updated in a long time.. but i am sure it must have been.
I have included everything debug log. If it isn't that i am missing something really obvious and need to drink more coffee this morning? It would seem to be a fault, or incorrect settings.
Last edited by void on Mon May 20, 2024 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed log
void
Developer

Re: great many files and folders are missing from the following "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common folder:

Post by void »

Thank you for the logs.

Your logs look fine, Everything is installed correctly and is detecting changes to your C: drive and your search settings are the defaults.

Does Windows Explorer show the missing folder?
Was this game installed on another drive?

Please try forcing a rebuild:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab on the left.
  • Click Force Rebuild.
  • Click OK.
Does Everything find the folder after a reindex?
FrozenGamer

Re: great many files and folders are missing from the following "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common folder:

Post by FrozenGamer »

Yes. windows explorer and everything and steam all detect any of the 200 plus games in that folder. Have done several force rebuilds and I thought I did one while running debug log? Is there amy evidence of force rebuild? Everything just missed about 99 percent of folders when I use the folder: command but only on the program files x86 directory. Could there be some complication involving the path characters specifically?
therube

Post by therube »

Might \steamapps\common\ be some sort of "virtual" directory, with actual contents with \User\?

Might antivirus be interfering? What A/V are you using?

Is there amy evidence of force rebuild?
Tools | Debug -> Statistics (I believe)
void
Developer

Post by void »

There's no result omissions loaded, so it can't be that..

Does Everything find your common folder? (search for: folder:exact:common )
These folders might be junctions -Does Everything find empty folders inside the common folder? (search for: folder:common\* )

The rebuild was in the log.

All files and folders on the C: were re-indexed.
The log showed only 2 orphaned files and 2 orphaned folders.

The NTFS MFT might be out of sync with your folder listings.
Please check your drive for errors:
  • Please backup anything important on your drive before checking it for errors.
  • In Windows Explorer, right click your drive and click Properties.
  • Click the Tools tab.
  • Click Check now...
  • Click Start
  • Click Yes to schedule a scan on the next restart.
  • Restart your PC.
Reindex after checking your disk for errors:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab on the left.
  • Click Force Rebuild.
  • Click OK.
Does the issue persist?
FrozenGamer

Post by FrozenGamer »

Does Everything find your common folder? (search for: folder:exact:common ) -YES
These folders might be junctions -Does Everything find empty folders inside the common folder? (search for: folder:common\* ) This seems to give me close to the results i was looking for (just to figure out what size files are.. I typed in three similar but different searches and you can see the one with the full path doesn't work.. I can get only as far as the F in "Program Files (x86)" (example 1) and then it loses all the files.. when i add the letter i (example 2) it causes almost all folders to disappear?
Example 3 is an example of all that i can see with that search in a 2tb folder of games.
Example 4 shows that it works just fine on the d drive.

I haven't done the diskcheck yet.. but will do so and follow last part of instructions, then post results. If you look closely at the different searches, you can see dramatically different amounts of folders
Attachments
Example 4.png
Example 4.png (301.24 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Example 3.png
Example 3.png (114.32 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Example 2.png
Example 2.png (109.3 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Example 1.png
Example 1.png (298.47 KiB) Viewed 541 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

A space in Everything means AND.

Please try escaping spaces with double quotes (")

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\" folder:
FrozenGamer

Post by FrozenGamer »

This problem has been solved! Iapologize for taking up your time- hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future.