Does Policy.ini support all Everything.ini settings?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
GSD

Re: Everything Group Policy

Post by GSD »

Does Policy.ini support all Everything.ini settings? If so, can it be thought of and used as a way of applying forcing common settings on all Everything instances?
void
Developer

Re: Does Policy.ini support all Everything.ini settings?

Post by void »

Moved from Everything Group Policy.

Does Policy.ini support all Everything.ini settings?
Almost all settings are supported.

There's a few settings, like colors and keys which are handled differently and cannot be locked.

There are also a few extra virtual settings available.

If so, can it be thought of and used as a way of applying forcing common settings on all Everything instances?
Policies are designed for locking settings in Tools -> Options.
Users cannot changed locked settings in Tools -> Options.

Policies can be use it to lock almost any other setting.
Users can still change some settings while the program is running and they will revert to the locked setting on next startup.

Policies apply to all instances.
GSD

Post by GSD »

Thank you for the reply and sorry for posting in the wrong place.
There's a few settings, like colors and keys which are handled differently and cannot be locked.
Upon testing, I see that font_size is among the settings in Policy.ini that do not override "Everything-*.ini" instance specific settings files. And font_size is one of the settings I'm interested in applying across all my instances(say I come across/get a monitor wiht a different DPI).

For anyone else reading this, I conclude that Policy.ini is not a universal way of forcing common settings on all Everything instances.

I, for one, maintain a separate "Common-settings.ini" file to which I add any new setting I want across all my instances, which I then apply to all said instances by running a script that goes through all of them and runs:

Code: Select all

Everything64.exe -instance "..." -add-config "Common-settings.ini" -quit
@void perhaps you would consider adding support for a specifically named ini file that would do this natively every time any instance starts?
void
Developer

Post by void »

The next alpha update will support all settings with the policy.ini

I will consider always loading an 'additional.ini' that will override settings.

Thank you for the suggestion.
GSD

Post by GSD »

void wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:33 am The next alpha update will support all settings with the policy.ini

I will consider always loading an 'additional.ini' that will override settings.

Thank you for the suggestion.
The combination of forcing all settings via Policy.ini and overriding them on every load via Additional.ini would be pure excellence. Thank you for considering this!
void
Developer

Post by void »

To clarify, policy.ini will lock settings.

Locked settings can never be changed.

additional.ini, when added, would only change unlocked settings.
GSD

Post by GSD »

void wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:20 pm To clarify, policy.ini will lock settings.

Locked settings can never be changed.

additional.ini, when added, would only change unlocked settings.
Yes, of course, it's kind of in the filename :)

I would add as a clarification that settings set in "additional.ini" would be able to be modified at runtime but would reset after closing/reopening any particular instance.
void
Developer

Post by void »

The Policy.ini in Everything 1.5.0.1379a will now support all ini settings.

Some settings are not supported directly, but can be set with virtual ini settings.

font and font_size can now be set in your Policy.ini
GSD

Post by GSD »

Excellent! Policy.ini seems to work as advertised. I'm not clear on what exactly a "virtual" ini setting is and how it differs from a "normal" one, so I'll be bookmarking and periodically checking the link to that "(TODO)".

After playing around a bit with Policy.ini, it's becoming clear that, while it does cover some ground regarding my use case, "Additional.ini" would be much better, because it would allow temporary changes on runtime for all settings, so I hope you are still considering implementing that.

Thank you for Everything! (pun intended, though I'm sure you've head this one before :) )