Everything uses up to or more than 8 GB RAM

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Biff

Everything uses up to or more than 8 GB RAM

Post by Biff »

Everything uses up to or more than 8 GB RAM (after clicking the bookmark to save the database):

And Everything after kepts the 8 GB of the RAM.

Is there a way to avoid that?

Is there a way to release the RAM without exiting Everything?
therube

Re: Everything uses up to or more than 8 GB RAM

Post by therube »

How many files?
What are you indexing?

How big is the .db?

What does your bookmark say to do?

Is not the process (of saving, or whatever) still ongoing at the time of your screenshot?
Biff

Post by Biff »

9.6 Mio. items.

5.9 GB the db.

The bookmark:
Is not the process (of saving, or whatever) still ongoing at the time of your screenshot?

According to what is shown in the status bar, Everything was no longer saving.
tuska

Post by tuska »

2Biff

How much RAM do you have available?
Press the Windows logo button and the Pause button -> Installed RAM, e.g. 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable).

I suspect that you have too little RAM available for your data volumes.

As a workaround, I suggest you to do at least part of the "Content Indexing" via the Windows search
(after making the appropriate settings in the Windows search) instead of "Content Indexing" in Everything.

PS:
In the meantime, there have already been many posts from you regarding RAM consumption and
some posts seem to be repeating themselves.
Biff

Post by Biff »

I havve 16 GB RAM, 14 available.
I suspect that you have too little RAM available for your data volumes.
Yes, that anyway, but the junk Lenovo just doesn't work either. A problem with the RAM management or so. What makes the high RAM use of Everything even worse.
As a workaround, I suggest you to do at least part of the "Content Indexing" via the Windows search
OK, thank you, but actually I do not want to use that trashy Win search. And I rather would be able to use the search / the indexes portably. For example for a new Win.

PS:
OK, thank you for that information!
tuska

Post by tuska »

Biff wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:50 am ... I do not want to use that trashy Win search.
Mmh, 'Windows Search' works well here in Windows 11 Pro without any problems.
However, 'Windows Search' can usually only work well if you have made the appropriate settings on your PC.

Have you ever checked your settings?
Search for the term "Indexing options" (German: "Indizierungsoptionen") using the magnifying glass (search) in the taskbar.
Open and check the "Indexing options" and also note the "Advanced" (German: "Erweitert") button(!).
Biff wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:50 am ... I rather would be able to use the search / the indexes portably. For example for a new Win.
I honour your wishes, but they won't do you any good if you don't have enough RAM.
I can therefore only highly recommend a split between Everything and Windows Search.

In my case, for example, it currently looks like this:
  • Installed RAM: 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
    When I bought a new Windows 11-capable PC, I factored in an additional 16 GB of RAM just for Everything (Content Indexing)
  • 733 393 items (577 912 files, 155 481 folders)
  • Everything.db ~ 1.4 GB
  • RAM usage: ~ 25% - 30%
If I follow the instructions below and my RAM consumption would be very close to my limits,
then the first step would be to outsource a topic to an Everything instance.
Example: Magazines in PDF format - approx. 3 GB.
- Here I would exclude folders from content indexing in the main Everything instance.
- I would have the content indexing performed in a separate Everything instance which I would only start if necessary.
Apart from that, I would of course first check whether it would make sense to increase the RAM capacity.

Instructions
  1. The RAM consumption should NOT exceed 50% of the available memory (© void)
  2. How to lower memory usage?
  3. Exclude
Biff

Post by Biff »

Mmh, 'Windows Search' works well here in Windows 11 Pro without any problems.
Yes yes, it might even work "well" (relative to Windows) on my junk Win 11 Version 23H2. But I would rather just use a single search / indexing / catalog program. Respectively I use two more (portable ones). But that is (considerable) additional effort. And I don't have to always set the old settings again after an installation or on a different computer.

And I don't want this shitty Win to use CPU recoures for its trashy indexing all the time.
Have you ever checked your settings?
No, I didn't, I never used the Win search / indexing. This search function actually keeps the indexes of offline disks? I would not have thought that. But even if so, you would have had to have all the indexes read again after a new installation, right?
Search for the term "Indexing options" (German: "Indizierungsoptionen") using the magnifying glass (search) in the taskbar.
Open and check the "Indexing options" and also note the "Advanced" (German: "Erweitert") button(!).
Many thanks for the settings!
I can therefore only highly recommend a split between Everything and Windows Search.
May be the junk Windows Search uses (too) much RAM as well and slows down the computer evven better.
733 393 items (577 912 files, 155 481 folders)
But not all files are indexed by content, right?

Here it's only these:
*.doc;*.docx;*.pdf;*.txt;*.xls;*.xlsx;*.ods;*.odt;*.ott;*.scrivx;*.csv;*.ics;*.rtf;*.eml;regex:^I:\\Eigene Dateien\\Notepad\\[^.]*$
Everything.db ~ 1.4 GB
Mine is 5,82 GB
RAM usage: ~ 25% - 30%
So about 7,5 - 10 GB of RAM?
If I follow the instructions below and my RAM consumption would be very close to my limits,
OK, but that might cause some (big) drawbacks, I would think. Despite the question how many splits did one have to do. So which topics should be divided into different instances and how? But even with just 2 instances of this type (splitting because of the RAM use), there are probably (big) disadvantages. I ran 3 instances. This one alone would be very unpleasant: Before I plug in an external drive, I would have to consider which instance has which topic in order to use the correct instance (start one, close the other). Exiting my main instance lasts about - maybe - 3 to 5 minutes. During this time Everything needs quite a lot of RAM and CPU (storing data base, etc., I guess), more than it uses when just running, I guess. After (waiting) starting the other instance, after plugging off the drive, closing the instance and opening the main instance. Even when I write it, it sounds like terror. And that was just a disadvantage at first. Or I'm completely misunderstanding something (which wouldn't be unusual). And above all, one of the greatest advantages of Everything would be gone: You wouldn't have to worry about anything (at least if everything went as it should) regarding Everything, I assume. It automatically would index each drive plugged in and keep the indexes for offline use.
Apart from that, I would of course first check whether it would make sense to increase the RAM capacity.
Yes, that sounds like a good idea, but there is no doubt, I assume. My next PC / Notebook will get 32 GB or 64 GB. One or two bars for Everything.

Thank you for the instructions. Yes, I have everything set in Everything like it should be (I assume / hope). So, I don't think anything could be improved/changed (without causing disadvantages elsewhere).
What exactly does that actually mean? When the RAM limit is reached, shoddy Windows swaps out some of the RAM, "only" slowing down the system by doing this and using the RAM this way. So actually there would not be a real limit. Or what do you mean by that? On the most shitty Notebook I have ever seen, this Lenovo, this does not seem to work. So that all sorts of programs are crashing all the time, respectively the greatest pile of the last mothershitty scrap of a shitty waste of a bullshit Lenovo no longer works at all.
tuska

Post by tuska »

2Biff
Well, as I understand you, you mean "junk Windows Search" and you have never tried Windows Search before and now.

In my opinion, it is absolutely necessary - at least for me - if I search for file contents,
to index only the most necessary file types and the most important drives in Everything and do the rest
via the Windows search (queries in Everything with parameter si:).

There were some questions from you that I unfortunately can't answer because I don't have this scenario.

However, I can answer this question from you:
>> If I follow the instructions below and my RAM consumption would be very close to my limits, ...
Q: What exactly does that actually mean?
The answer has already been given above:
> The RAM consumption should NOT exceed 50% of the available memory (© void)

I think I have already shared everything I know on this topic (RAM).
I will therefore no longer participate in any further RAM enquiries you may have in the future.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Well, as I understand you, you mean "junk Windows Search" and you have never tried Windows Search before and now.
Yes, yes, exactly.
Q: What exactly does that actually mean?
The answer has already been given above:
OK, yes, I see, thank you. But maybe not quite in the sense that I meant with my question.
And if not, what happens then?
I think I have already shared everything I know on this topic (RAM).
OK, I see, yes, that was a lot, thank you very much!
I will therefore no longer participate in any further RAM enquiries you may have in the future.
Yes, of course, I can completely understand. I won't be asking any more RAM questions either.
tuska

Post by tuska »

Biff wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:55 pm
And if not, what happens then?
Then I see a need for action.
I have described this in detail above.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Thank you for the link. I am very sorry, but I can't find the answer there.
tuska

Post by tuska »

Biff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:24 am
Thank you for the link. I am very sorry, but I can't find the answer there.
tuska wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:33 pm ...
Example: Magazines in PDF format - approx. 3 GB.
- Here I would exclude folders from content indexing in the main Everything instance.
- I would have the content indexing performed in a separate Everything instance which I would only start if necessary.

Instructions
  1. The RAM consumption should NOT exceed 50% of the available memory (© void)
  2. How to lower memory usage?
  3. Exclude
Biff

Post by Biff »

OK, thank you.

Very sorry for my bad understanding. I still can't figure out the answer. It looks like it describes what you can do ABOUT IT. So what you can do to "solve the problem".
tuska

Post by tuska »

Biff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:42 am I still can't figure out the answer. It looks like it describes what you can do ABOUT IT.
So what you can do to "solve the problem".
void wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:28 am Everything will store all the text from the indexed content in memory for fast searching.
(not content data such as images etc)

Content indexing in Everything is designed for indexing less than 1GB of text.
Based on this statement from the author, I can currently (as a hobby user)
only recognise the following possible solutions, namely

1. Buy additional RAM memory
2. Index only the most important file contents/drives in Everything and let Windows Search do the rest.
    (I can only repeat myself here...).

Unfortunately, I can't contribute any more on this topic.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Everything will store all the text from the indexed content in memory for fast searching.
Ah yes, so a large amount can add up quite quickly and use up the RAM, I guess.
It's a pity that there is probably no option (if such a thing even makes sense) with which you could choose to save the content or only the content of certain files when required, e.g. txt, in a database and thus reduce the load on the RAM. Although the search would then probably be (perhaps much) slower.
Content indexing in Everything is designed for indexing less than 1GB of text.
I'm wondering how many files 1 GB text of content-indexed files is on average.
1. Buy additional RAM memory
2. Index only the most important file contents/drives in Everything and let Windows Search do the rest.
(I can only repeat myself here...).
Yes, yes, I see. But I am afraid repetition won't answer the questions either.

Yes, I (1.) want to do it and (2.) and I believe I have done it.
(I can only repeat myself here as well...)

Unfortunately, I can't contribute any more on this topic.
That's a pity, but you have been a great help so far, thank you very much.