Running Everything as Admin or with Service?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Biff

Running Everything as Admin or with Service?

Post by Biff »

When I started Everything the first time after having done the new Win installation it shows a Window whether to run Everything as Administrator or with that Service?

Next to run as Administrator it said "(recommended)". So this is better as using the service? Before I always had that service running. Have the properties to be indexed again when switching to Admin? What are the advantages / drawbacks?
void
Developer

Re: Running Everything as Admi or with Service?

Post by void »

Old versions of Everything 1.4 would recommend running as administrator when running the portable version.
Avoid running Everything as administrator.

Everything 1.5 will never recommend running as administrator.

The Everything 1.5 installer will recommend the Everything service.
The portable Everything 1.5 will recommend running the indexing process as administrator.

I recommend installing the Everything Service.
Otherwise, you'll see UAC prompts each time you run Everything.

You can change these settings at any time from Tools -> Options -> General.
Changing these settings will not cause an index rebuild.

Everything Service
Run indexing process as administrator
Biff

Post by Biff »

Everything 1.5 will never recommend running as administrator.

The Everything 1.5 installer will recommend the Everything service.
The portable Everything 1.5 will recommend running the indexing process as administrator.
Oops, sorry, reading is obviously not my forte as well. So indexing as admin obviously was recommended in that window of the protable version.

So running as administrator and indexing as administrator are different. Didn't know such is possible at all, I thought programs could either only run as an administrator or not at all.
I recommend installing the Everything Service.
So I have to install it somehow manually? Or just check that option?

So these are the correct / best settings(?):

Is there a way to keep such settings when (re) installing a new Win or using Everything on another computer? I (intentionally) didn't change anything to (the portable) Everything, its location was kept as well, but the settings obviously automatically changed on the new Win.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I recommend the following settings:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Everything Service. (it is already checked)
  • Uncheck Run indexing process as administrator.
  • Click OK.
Everything will use the Everything Service over "Run indexing process as administrator" when both are enabled.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Oops, oops, somehow these recommendations seem to confuse me, sorry. And everything else.

I suspect there isn't much left that still could be wrong now (but maybe still enough):

I guess, this is not possible:

Is there a way to keep such settings when (re) installing a new Win or using Everything on another computer? I (intentionally) didn't change anything to (the portable) Everything, its location was kept as well, but the settings obviously automatically changed on the new Win.

Okey, thank you very much!
Biff

Post by Biff »

Although Everything no longer runs with admin rights, the UAC still appears, for example when you click OK / Apply?
void
Developer

Post by void »

You will need administrative privileges to change these settings.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Yes yes, that is what I meant, why do I need them although Everything obviously does not run with admin rights anymore? How could I turn them off? So the UAC will not pop up anymore?
therube

Re: Running Everything as Admin or with Service?

Post by therube »

If the Service is running, Everything (GUI) will run, should normally be running, at a User level (rather then Admin) & so one should not be seeing any UAC prompt.

UAC prompt, should only turn up if you were to remove or install the Service.

The Service itself uses Admin rights.
Likewise, if you were to 'Run indexing process as administrator' (which is different from using the Everything Service, though it accomplishes the same goal - with using the Service being preferred) will also generate a UAC prompt.
Biff

Re: Running Everything as Admin or with Service?

Post by Biff »

OK.

At the moment there are no UAC prompts anymore, I didn't change anything after checking the check boxes the last time and then restarting Everything after UAC prompts still occurred and kept occurring after restarting Everything. However, now, after restarting the computer there aren't anymore. Don't know why.