Searching eBooks for Content:

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
ChrisGreaves

Searching eBooks for Content:

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I am working towards searching for text in eBooks. For my sins I am back to running Win7 but am at Version 1.5.0.1360a (x64)
Caution: My knowledge of eBooks is extremely limited; I am writing an essay on why I don’t like eBooks, but wanted to add examples from Everything. Of all the types listed, only pdb and epub show up in my reduced search string, and I gather that I have an eReader for neither pdb nor epub!

I copied a search string from Re: how to search for all books Please try the following search:ext:epub;mobi;pdf;azw;azw3;ibooks;lit;pdb;html;txt;cbz;cbr;fb2;djvu;lit;pdb;mobi;opf;azw4;prc, introduced the path T:\ (my encrypted data partition) and eliminated all extents but two:-
T: ext:epub;pdb
eBooks_01.png
eBooks_01.png (52.88 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
So far so good; 29 eBooks found from the two extents posed.
eBooks_02.png
eBooks_02.png (121.45 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
But when I do a Content search for the string “the” or the string “and” or “a” or even “e”, only files with the extent of EPUB show up.

Given that I know very little about eBooks, and have nothing On this Win7 machine) that will read EPUB or PUB
Question (1) Is Everything Version 1.5.0.1360a (x64) supposed to be detecting content in files with the extent PUB?
Question (2) If so: Can anyone recommend an eReader that will allow me to read both formats on a Win7 machine?
Question (3) Regardless, and as usual, have I written out the search strings correctly?
Question (4) When I restrict the search to C:, reasoning that eBooks on drive C are much more likely to be properly constructed, I get 10 items only, all PUB extents, and a Content search for “e” returns zero results. Can anyone suggest a better way of searching for content in PUB eBooks?

Thanks, Chris
horst.epp

Re: Searching eBooks for Content:

Post by horst.epp »

There is no free iFilter available for epub formats.
So a content search can only be a binary one as long as David has not created one for this format.
You can buy Adobe or Foxit to get an epub iFilter.